Adding more rock to a mature tank.

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anything bad happen in my tank if I add another 25kg of rock to a 450ltr system? I assume it would raise tank parameters abit but hopefully not to much. Long term benefits will be alot better I know. I currently have a minimalistic rock work but need more rock work for fish and corals.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anything bad happen in my tank if I add another 25kg of rock to a 450ltr system? I assume it would raise tank parameters abit but hopefully not to much. Long term benefits will be alot better I know. I currently have a minimalistic rock work but need more rock work for fish and corals.
What kind of rock is it? If it is man made and dry, it’s ok to add it as it won’t affect anything like the cycle.

If it is dry live rock, it should be cured because whatever dead organisms were left behind, will leech back into your system.

If it has never touched a tank before, I’d rinse well and I like to soak in clean saltwater first (just to offset anything that will change with the higher pH).

OP
OP
Tomb85

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of rock is it? If it is man made and dry, it’s ok to add it as it won’t affect anything like the cycle.

If it is dry live rock, it should be cured because whatever dead organisms were left behind, will leech back into your system.

If it has never touched a tank before, I’d rinse well and I like to soak in clean saltwater first (just to offset anything that will change with the higher pH).
It's dead Fiji rock and it's been out of an aquarium for 1 month. Should I soak them in salt water for 1 or 3 months?

Thanks

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't do anything except maybe give you some algae that is in the rock. I have been collecting and adding it for decades.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back