Adding new Bio media to my canister filter

LI2NC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some extra room in my Fluval 307 canister filter and want to add more bio media in one of the trays. My question is if I buy more media will the bacteria start to gather and live in the new bio media or would it have to be in the same tray? I have the Fluval bio media that came in the canister filter and know not to totally replace the media but what would be a good second bio media to add?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is if I buy more media will the bacteria start to gather and live in the new bio media or would it have to be in the same tray?
The tray and everything that has been immersed in salt water has been colonized with bacteria. Your new media will also be quickly colonized, regardless of location.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mentioned above the bacteria will grow on everything that's submerged. An untouched glass can act as a filter. Will the media help, probably. Is it needed, maybe not? Keep it simple. Don't overstock, don't overfeed, maybe do a water change every now and then and you should be golden. (less is more sometimes) A happy healthy tank is not necessarily about the rocks, the filter, the lights etc. It's about the owner... Are you in this for the long haul? GL.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back