Adding New Sand & Creating New Aquascape

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am about to re-do my reef tank, RSM250 - which was my first reef tank about 3 years ago. I did not know much about the cool things that can be done with aquascaping as well as using crushed coral for the bottom. Anyway, I purchased this tank from someone and gave me a lot of live rock - so setting up was somewhat of a rush with fish in buckets and rocks that I literally placed wherever it seemed to work. Wow, I have learned a lot in the last few years - but now the question is how do I fix my mistakes by putting down new sand as well as creating some better looking aquascaping to show off my corals. Here are my basic questions...

1. I am looking at purchasing the Aragonite Special Grade. Because my tank is stable, cycled - should I just purchase the Dry Sand, or get Live Sand?

2. I have heard horror stories with some losing fish, corals, etc. with adding sand - or kicking up any of the current sand... my tank doesn't have much left on the bottom, so hopefully will be OK. But any suggestions are welcome on how I should approach with adding sand.

3. I was planning on using SOME but not all of the live rock - it is a lot of rock and was going to try creating something new. My concern is that having beneficial bacteria on rocks now and then removing at least 50% - will that cause a spike in Ammonia / Nitrite?

4. In short, my approach would be to have 3 tubs; 1 for fish / inverts, 1 for live rock and 1 for corals. Setup each with heater and airstone - removing everything in tubs using water from tank of course. The rest is simple - lay new sand, create aquascape and put all live stock back. Anything wrong with this approach?

I did attach a few pics of my aquarium and as you can see the aquascape is lame - hence why I am anxious to re-do this as my corals starting to look good :)

Thanks!

RSM250 - pic 2.jpg RSM250 - pic 1.jpg RSM250 - pic 3.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I am looking at purchasing the Aragonite Special Grade. Because my tank is stable, cycled - should I just purchase the Dry Sand, or get Live Sand?

Either one is fine.

2. I have heard horror stories with some losing fish, corals, etc. with adding sand - or kicking up any of the current sand... my tank doesn't have much left on the bottom, so hopefully will be OK. But any suggestions are welcome on how I should approach with adding sand.

Take the old sand out and rinse it clean in a bucket to get the silt and detritus out. Then it's fine to use with the new sand in a mix.

3. I was planning on using SOME but not all of the live rock - it is a lot of rock and was going to try creating something new. My concern is that having beneficial bacteria on rocks now and then removing at least 50% - will that cause a spike in Ammonia / Nitrite?

I'd say it's a 50/50 thing. It depends on how much livestock you have, how much you feed the tank and whether or not you clean the old sand.

4. In short, my approach would be to have 3 tubs; 1 for fish / inverts, 1 for live rock and 1 for corals. Setup each with heater and airstone - removing everything in tubs using water from tank of course. The rest is simple - lay new sand, create aquascape and put all live stock back. Anything wrong with this approach?

It will work. It would be better if you took an hour to pull out the old sand, clean it and mix with the new sand. And remember if you have very different sizes of sand, the bigger course sand will eventually go to the bottom and the smaller sand will rise to the surface over time. They they are close in size, this won't be an issue.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering, is there enough water in the tank to divide between 3 tubs of rock/livestock?

OP can make some new saltwater to mix with the old so they have enough.

When I broke down my 40g DT I put things in 'spare aquariums' and Brutes I have. I had to tear down the old system and build up the new system in the same spot. Everything was in these alternative systems for a month before the new tank was ready.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I did not think of this but I can put at a minimum the live rock temporarily from the red sea max to my 70 gal sump for my 210. I know the parameters are a bit different - but should be fine for live rock. A buddy of mine told me that corals and fish should be ok in there too, but not sure if I want to take the chance.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back