Adding Phytoplankton, Rotifiers and Copepods....

AlexR9364

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my system is 180 Litres (I think that is like 48 Gallons.) and is around 9 months old. All parameters are good and we are still battling our way through the ugly phase but more and more coralline algae is appearing everyday.
Would my system benefit from the addition of phytoplankton, rotifiers and copepods?

I started with live sand and have both a sand sifting goby and a scooter blenny in the system. Thankfully both eat frozen and prepared foods and are fat and healthy (LFS missold them as beginner fish, wasn't till I got them home I realised my error.). Will the copepods live in the sand? Is it feasible to build a population? Really just looking for advice and other's experience.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phytoplankton isn't something we can build populations in aquariums. The pods can build up a population but with a scooter blenny and a sand sifting goby in that size tank i would doubt you can maintain any significant population. You're very lucky they're eating prepared food though. That said, if you want to add pods and phyto it's not a bad thing just watch the nutrients and don't be dissappointed if that population never shows itself due to predation.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods will live in your rock work and sand
. Rotifers are a feed only source they won't reproduce in reef systems and get filtered out pretty quickly .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back