Adding pods question

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Mandarin. I KNOW I have a healthy population of pods but I bought some at my LFS just in case (the Mandarin is trained to eat shrim also) but I take every precaution I can to keep them alive as long as I can.

Is the green stuff normal? Or should I not add the bottom stuff in my tank? Looks more like algae and I’m not sure if it poses any risky to introduce it.

I’m asking here because I forgot to ask my LFS, I bombarded the owner with a million questions as usual and forgot to double check with them.

Also, should I turn off my skimmer when I introduce these? I also got a snail shell with coraline which I will be scraping off so I plan on doing both at the same time if turning the skimmer off is recommended for either of these

F5AEBDC4-9612-4328-971A-73C33EF26EF7.jpeg 0056B4F9-DE51-4501-AACE-9A520296FB02.jpeg 8022F67D-6F9C-4506-A78C-B26D3AD59BD4.jpeg 0C73767A-C67A-445A-A454-AB35E537EA30.jpeg D1766105-5160-4178-8124-8EFC00C6D569.jpeg

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely algae that they were feeding the pods.

How old is the tank? Sounds fairly new if youre trying to seed coraline algae.
Yes pretty new, a little over 1 month in. I super speeded the cycle very safely, 0 ammonia after day 8 and 0 nitrite after 13 days. Been at 0 ever since. I feel like the pods were initially introduced with my cuc and I already have some green coraline on my glass slowly growing (I was told it was green coraline because the tiny green spots are almost impossible to take off). I got some beautiful purple coraline that I’m trying to introduce now :)

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, yeah the green will turn purple over time more than likely. Seeding pods yourself is a good idea though, and as long as the mandarin eats other things you should be fine. The pods could tide it over between meals, I do this for my Wrasse. I'd just make sure it's eating and you should be good.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, yeah the green will turn purple over time more than likely. Seeding pods yourself is a good idea though, and as long as the mandarin eats other things you should be fine. The pods could tide it over between meals, I do this for my Wrasse. I'd just make sure it's eating and you should be good.
Does a skimmer kill pods? And should I turn off the skimmer and wait for the pods to establish? I’m not too worried as my population is huge but I take every single precaution I can

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like if they went into it, it will. Just turn it off for an hour or so and they should settle into there locations.
Thank you!!! I assume the algae in the jar is also ok to put so I’ll be doing just that!

Thanks for all the answers everyone

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off skimmer and flow while adding PODS.
Give them a few hours to find a home.
Bottom stuff is just a pollutant now so don’t add, but, not a problem if you do.
Turn all back on in an hour or so.

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are algae to feed the pod. You should mix the bottle, then feed to the tank. I turn off skimmer for 10-15min.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are algae to feed the pod. You should mix the bottle, then feed to the tank. I turn off skimmer for 10-15min.
Thanks! I pretty much added the whole thing and rinsed it with aquarium water in case there was some pods left in the jar. My LFS said people do this about once a month, is that true or are they just salespeople?

also I don’t see how pods don’t die in my filter (I use a sponge I rinse every week) and carbon) or skimmer they’re both HOB.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I pretty much added the whole thing and rinsed it with aquarium water in case there was some pods left in the jar. My LFS said people do this about once a month, is that true or are they just salespeople?

also I don’t see how pods don’t die in my filter (I use a sponge I rinse every week) and carbon) or skimmer they’re both HOB.
I do it once a week. I have a dragonet.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it once a week. I have a dragonet.

Awesome! I also plan on doing it often even tho I feel like I have a safe pod population for now. I don’t have a sump or anything so I was thinking growing my own pods in a jar with an air pump. It doesn’t look too hard to do

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 140 was fallow for 3 months, day or night I could see pods running around over the rocks, sand, glass, everywhere... Within 48 hours of putting a black neon dottyback, nigh not a pod hardly seen. That's why I now cultivate phyto and pods...

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 140 was fallow for 3 months, day or night I could see pods running around over the rocks, sand, glass, everywhere... Within 48 hours of putting a black neon dottyback, nigh not a pod hardly seen. That's why I now cultivate phyto and pods...
I’m looking into phyto cultivation. I assume the seachem reef phyto they sell at LFS or Amazon is no good? There’s not a ton of info on what kind of phyto to feed pods online

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Live Marine Phyto kit on Amazon is ok (that's what I started my Phyto on) but most of the other bottles of phyto won't cultivate. In the end when I realized I needed to seed pods and not wanting to spend tons on those tiny bottles I went with the Poseidon PhytoTank Pod tank kit. Wasn't cheap but I didn't want to mess around with lids and tops and lights and tubes buying from here and everywhere. Once it arrived and I got over the price, I was glad I went that way. It really is a nice looking setup, and as I like to keep an eye on it, it's sitting on my counters so I don't mind as much vs if I had Frankensteined something myself.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back