OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d leave the corals be for now. They are adjusting, some polyps may not make it but the majority will. Zoas are hardy.
Yah My other 2 Zoa frags are doing fantastic other than a weird crystal white like growth on one of the frags. My third drag tho has 2 different species of zoa on it and the smaller of the species is closed rn and it has 2 weird greenish white dots on it. And they aren’t fully opened I hope that they aren’t sick

OP
OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pics?
My guess would be a sponge (harmless) on the first drag, and bubble algae (annoying) on the second.
Yah I do I just don’t understand why my other 2 frag stands have all their zoa open but this one doesn’t have theirs open

Attachments

• 32379C93-0478-44FA-9623-A19811B68366.jpeg
    32379C93-0478-44FA-9623-A19811B68366.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 42

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the super colorful, captive strains aren’t that bad. Still where gloves, goggles, and a mask though (really when playing with any coral). The wild types like captain jerks and Texas trash are the really toxic ones.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I do I just don’t understand why my other 2 frag stands have all their zoa open but this one doesn’t have theirs open
There is a zoa eating nudibranch on there, they seriously irritate zoas and kind of slowly kill them over time. I would remove any that you see, and dip all zoanthid corals.

OP
OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the nudibranch in your picture;
7D773C57-BA49-4076-89C4-4A1A73506D58.jpeg
Yah I took that coral out and dipped in fresh water and it came out, but I am kinda scared tho I didn’t make sure the coral was adjusted to the temperature but people say that they are very hearty and 3 mins in r/o water is fine. My other corals are doing great. Should I worry about that coral now that I got the little pest off?

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I took that coral out and dipped in fresh water and it came out, but I am kinda scared tho I didn’t make sure the coral was adjusted to the temperature but people say that they are very hearty and 3 mins in r/o water is fine. My other corals are doing great. Should I worry about that coral now that I got the little pest off?
It is always good to temperature and parameter acclimate, but zoa's are pretty hardy so I am going to guess this little guy will bounce back.

OP
OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always good to temperature and parameter acclimate, but zoa's are pretty hardy so I am going to guess this little guy will bounce back.
Ok sweet i hope so too, but i did get a lot of little pest off. I think it was only on that coral since the other 2 corals are growing (i think) and the one that had a weird white spot on it is fully gone now

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sweet i hope so too, but i did get a lot of little pest off. I think it was only on that coral since the other 2 corals are growing (i think) and the one that had a weird white spot on it is fully gone now
Just keep an eye out on all of the zoas and that one. Eggs could have been laid and may hatch. If you can remove the nudis when little, they wont be able to lay more eggs and come back. Luckily one of the easiest zoa pests to be rid of.

OP
OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah they are all healthy now but there’s this weird plant creature that’s moving on it’s own. It’s a weird alien creature….can someone please help identify this!! :(

Attachments

• IMG_2911.MOV
    25.9 MB
OP
OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thats aiptasia, a type of anemone, i dont know how bad it is, but it is bad.
Tbh tho I kinda like it the way it moves, I am just scared that itll kill the clownfish even tho its an anemone. I would imagen that the clownfish would like to swim in them but i heard that thye can sting corals and stuff. I just think its really cool the way it moves since rn my corals are all on the other side of the tank. Is it worth the risk of keeping it in?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to keep aiptisia. They won’t host clownfish, only specific anemones do.
They multiply like weeds and will sting/irritate/possibly kill corals. It’s best to kill it.

OP
OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to keep aiptisia. They won’t host clownfish, only specific anemones do.
They multiply like weeds and will sting/irritate/possibly kill corals. It’s best to kill it.
I prob had it for a month and it hasn’t spread but how does one kill this creature without hurting the rest of the tank?

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are chemicals you can buy, or just kill it with your hands or a knife.
This is not true. It will release little bits of itself into the water and cause an outbreak. Your best bet will be to smother it with super glue.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back