Adding Refugium

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone.
So I recently got a RSR Peninsula 500 and the tank is cycled and has been up for about 1.5 months now. I was wondering when is a good time to start the refugium? I am new to all of this. I know the refugium is beneficial. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Parameters as of today
PH=7.9
No3=3.8
NH3=0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add it whenever. The only time where you don't want it is during the initial cycle. Just make sure to get a proper light and to watch nitrate and phosphate. If these consistently stay low with the refugium and you end up not needing water changes for a while, I like adding something like iron or chaetogro.

Also, try to get the macroalgae from a source known to have clean (pest free) algae.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @Spare time said. And ime, high par is the guarantee for chaeto growth. I stuff my fuge with live rock to support the chaeto to the waters surface to maximize par. Get a cheap, $50 horticulture led light off Amazon

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add it whenever. The only time where you don't want it is during the initial cycle. Just make sure to get a proper light and to watch nitrate and phosphate. If these consistently stay low with the refugium and you end up not needing water changes for a while, I like adding something like iron or chaetogro.

Also, try to get the macroalgae from a source known to have clean (pest free) algae.
Thank you for your response. The tank is cycled and I do have 2 Clown Fishes in it as well as 2 Pajama Cardinals. I plan to use the Tunze Submersible Marine LED EcoChic Light 8811. I also do plan on getting the ULTIMATE REFUGIUM STARTER PACK from Algae Barn that supposedly has all necessary items to start the fuge.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response. The tank is cycled and I do have 2 Clown Fishes in it as well as 2 Pajama Cardinals. I plan to use the Tunze Submersible Marine LED EcoChic Light 8811. I also do plan on getting the ULTIMATE REFUGIUM STARTER PACK from Algae Barn that supposedly has all necessary items to start the fuge.

Sounds good to me!

PS if you buy the pack with the copepods, be sure to do it at night when you fish are sleeping.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @Spare time said. And ime, high par is the guarantee for chaeto growth. I stuff my fuge with live rock to support the chaeto to the waters surface to maximize par. Get a cheap, $50 horticulture led light off Amazon

Thank you for your response. I will definitely look into that light.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good pest free macro algae is clean cheato by algae barn, they quarantine there macroaglgae so you can be sure there are no pest. They are a trust worthy company in my opinion
Thank you. That was the route I was planning on taking.

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to echo everybody else and say to wait until after the cycle. I added a HOB refugium to my 25 cube (no sump) that was set up for 8-9 years and the tank has taken off since I added a refugium...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back