Adding wave maker question

Rayray95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I’ve had my 10 gallon tank for about 8 months now and since everything is going pretty well I wanted to add some corals. I looked around for a really long time to find a good wave maker for the corals and got a Hygger Nano Wave Maker. I set it up to the lowest power output and it seems great. My 2 clownfish love swimming in front of it. The corals seem to like the flow as well.

i am concerned though that since it’s been running 24/7, will the clownfish get tired of the movement? I know the oceans currents are always moving, but this tank hasn’t had any movement like that since I started it up because I had no corals and didn’t really see the need. Should I turn the wave maker off at night? Or do you think the clowns will get used to the constant movement? Before installing the wave maker the clowns would “sleep” or rest by the heater. I would find them kind of sitting on the suction cup but I haven’t seen that since adding the wave maker. I’m a little worried they’ll get too tired or stressed.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry too much. The fish will find the places they want to go. There isn't much flow in some areas of the tank, like in the corners. If the fish want calmer water they can go there. Do you have rock in the tank and are there places they can go to hide in the rocks?

You can put the pump on an inexpensive timer from the hardware store and set it to automatically shut the pump down for 4 to 6 hours at night.

OP
OP
Rayray95

Rayray95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you.
Yes I have 2 pieces of live rock in the middle of the tank and I placed them together to make a small cave but has an opening at the top. I’ll look into the timer for the wave maker because I think the one I have are preset to run 24/7. I’ve set the intensity and flow to the lowest possible. I feel much better knowing the clowns are able to find spots that doesn’t have constant flow, thank you!

Back