Adding Yellow Tang as one of the first few fish?

knd342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -- I'm reading up on BRS' 4 month cycle, and part of the recommendation is to add a yellow tang early on, like as the second or third fish, to manage algae issues before they begin. (they also recommend a kole tang and a lawnmower blenny -- those three with clownfish is the initial stocking list under this method) My full fish list includes two yellow tangs and a purple tang, but I'd planned to add them pretty much last due to potential aggression issues. What is everyone's experience with adding a yellow tang early and then adding another one later -- or adding two now and adding the purple later? Will the yellow tang cause a problem with the less aggressive fish I plan to add later? Maybe try to add all three now? I have no problem waiting, as I planned to get captive-bred tangs anyway, so I'm not trying to rush due to whatever is happening with the Hawaii ban. But if it will make a big difference with algae, I'm all for adding the tang(s) now if it makes sense. I'm not brand new to the hobby; I previously had a 75g tank for several years, but I've been out of the loop for a few years and learning the new research and best methods. I'm seeing lots of people using "tang gangs" for algae management and putting them in earlier than was recommended several years ago. I know we're always learning and growing in this hobby; so what's the latest? Thanks!

I have a 180 gallon cycling now, my fish list is:

clownfish x2
firefish
midas blenny
lawnmower blenny
potters or flame angel (depending on what happens with hawaii)
chromis
anthias
copperband butterfly
coris wrasse
diamond goby
powder blue tang
purple tang
yellow tang x2

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like nonsense to me. I would add the fish based on aggression level.

I have never had to use a Tang to control algae. A mix of snails, a few female emeralds and good husbandry is all it takes.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs, kole and potters angel all problematic at the moment. Copperband is a very meek fish and likely won't do well regardless of the order of addition. Tangs likely won't be aggressive beyond the other tangs, so not really something to worry about. You want herbivores early in the lifecycle of your tank, whether fish, crabs or snails.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dose phytoplankon will out compete nucissance micro algae, get a good cuc, turbos,conches maybe a sandsifting star or two some peppermint shrimp for aiptasia control
Cleaner shrimp for overall rounded cuc

If it was me id go for a foxface over yellow tang for algae control,always like butterfly,rabbitfish for algae control)or maybe another butterfly(heinochus or raccoon or four spot) just my 2 cents dose phyto plankton and then coraline algae and phyto will outcompete nussicance algae like red ,hair,bubble,brown etc etc taking up all phosphates and nitrates before algae can chleate it in a useable form and grow

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all prefference based and based on agression if you go with the yellow tank you could always try the mirror trick

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back