Adequate copepods

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is over 3 years old and I’m told I will have copepods naturally in it. I’m wondering, assuming I’m starting from scratch, whether there would be an optimum amount of live copepods I could add that would feed a mandarin and, at the same time, have them reproduce to maintain an adequate supply? Or is this just a dream?

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a mandarin goby, a tank of at least 75 gallons is recommended to keep up the copepod population. Feed regularly/frequently to increase their food supply and they will reproduce quite easily. Having a sump and/or keeping macroalgae will significantly increase the population as well.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a mandarin goby, a tank of at least 75 gallons is recommended to keep up the copepod population. Feed regularly/frequently to increase their food supply and they will reproduce quite easily. Having a sump and/or keeping macroalgae will significantly increase the population as well.
So in your example what measurement of copepods would you look to add to start the process?

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in your example what measurement of copepods would you look to add to start the process?
If you have live rock you may already have them, just look around in the nooks and crannies with a flashlight at night. If not, you can add any number of them, but the more you add the sooner the tank will be full of them, assuming they are able to eat and reproduce in your system. I don't have a number in mind, but the end goal is a self-maintained population of a few/several visible on every rock when you look at night. The bigger the tank is, the less dense the population needs to be to keep a mandarin fed.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is over 3 years old and I’m told I will have copepods naturally in it. I’m wondering, assuming I’m starting from scratch, whether there would be an optimum amount of live copepods I could add that would feed a mandarin and, at the same time, have them reproduce to maintain an adequate supply? Or is this just a dream?
Let film algea build up on the glass should give you an idea of what you have . Feeding the copepods is recommended with a mandrine

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're trying to get too fancy with it.

There doesn't need to be a number per gallon. Dump a bottle in, feed phyto a few days a week and you will have a good population.

Good enough for feeding a mandarin is unknowable without more info.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back