Adjusting dkh in Tropic Marine Pro Storage tanks

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been utilizing Tropic Marine Pro for over 6 months. I have a 160 gallon storage tank that is spotless after switching to this salt which makes me hesitant to ever make any changes again. My only issue is I would really like to get my alk to stay consistent at 8.5 - 9 dkh in my DT. When performing large water changes, I manually dose BRS soda ash to my sump where the new water is added in order to accommodate the low alk in Tropic Marine Pro. This process is very time consuming and never consistent. I was wondering if there are any reasons I can not pre "dose" my storage containers to get the desired dkh so at the time of a water change, I can match my system without all the hassle? Typically, the storage containers are replenished around 4-6 weeks, depending on the amount of water changes and extra tanks needed. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix up 50 gallons of IO and then dose acid to bring the dkh down, dose Ca and Mg to bring within levels I want and then store in multiple 5 gallon buckets.

So yes dose the salt water to what you want. I just always use IO because its cheap and mixes well. Dosing is very easy and cheap.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like Tropic Marin why not use their regular salt that has a higher dkh? The point of the Pro is lower dkh.
The regular has dkh of 9-10 which for me is too high. I keep my tank at 8.0 so I use the pro and add some bicarbonate to my mixing container to get it to 8.0.

OP
OP
Fred2482

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like Tropic Marin why not use their regular salt that has a higher dkh? The point of the Pro is lower dkh.

Honestly, the only reason is I fear it will not store as flawless as the pro. I have never had any salt store for as long as the pro without any issues.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classic is the same quality. Pharmaceutical grade.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tropic marine pro and still get some random build up in the brute 55gal storage tank.. not always but every few batch’s I have to disconnect everything and clean by hand.

I have a power head and heater. Then dose about 45mil of soda ash into the mixing container. (Or whatever the calculations come up with)

OP
OP
Fred2482

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classic is the same quality. Pharmaceutical grade.

I would assume that changing to classic will help with alk, however then I would have the same question about calcium...

OP
OP
Fred2482

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tropic marine pro and still get some random build up in the brute 55gal storage tank.. not always but every few batch’s I have to disconnect everything and clean by hand.

I have a power head and heater. Then dose about 45mil of soda ash into the mixing container. (Or whatever the calculations come up with)

I have never had any build up. I am utilizing an enclosed VAT with inline mixing pump. I wonder if limited air exposure is a factor?

OP
OP
Fred2482

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess worst case is it causes some residue or prevents the other parameters from holding almost perfect during storage like they do currently. Just figured I would try to learn from others experience before trying it out myself :).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back