adult blueface angel swimming well and no disease sign but not eating ... suggestions?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi Therre, I have had this adult 6 inch blueface for 3 years, housed with large hippo tang, yellow tang, juvi queen angel adult flagfin angel, coral beauty, 1 fat butterfly, a gobi, an anthias and until last month I had 4 large fish-only wrasses too .. now I sold the wrasses to make room for some new set of wrasses ... no one harasses the blueface and he is perfect gentleman - did not chase any fish ever! He has always been a bit shy ... but ate pellets, nori sheets and frozen always ...

For last 2 week he has stopped eating ... he swims when no one is in fish room ... hides when I come in ... I did a large 50% water change and he seems to swimming more ... but not eating still ... my water params are fine, I have a lot of cyano ... no other fishes are sick, all eat like pigs, i feed 2-3 times daily pellets, frozen, nori-sheets ... but blueface does not eat ... he does not even make attempt ...

My tank is 8 foot 240G with sump, skimmer and UV and LOTs of live rock. I did 2 rounds of prazi ... since I have seen white stringy poop in tank ...

I am thinking of using "Chemi-clean" to get rid of cyano (in case over abundance of them are causing any issue) ... any thought what could be the issue? He will die eventually at this rate ... what can I do to save him?

I have not posted any pictures ... but you will likely not gather anything from picture ... he has 0 dots swims like he always did ...

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you list all your freshly tested water parameters? Ive got an emperor angelfish and hes the opposite king if the tank fights any who eat his food lol. How old is the tank? Got any corals?

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Params
Phosphate < 0.25 now ans never climbs over 1
Nitrate < 25 now and does not go over 50 to 75
Salinity 1.25

The water parametrrs in the tank has always been arpund this. The only difference has been the amount of cyano and bubble algae ... anyone with specific cyano/ bubble algae experience (i know in general they are not good).

I have never had any corals.

i have 2 small bubble tip Anemone and 7 small rock flower.

Tank been upnfor 3 years. Last batch of fish changes - 3 months back i sold green bird wrasse amd pinkface, my 2 year old harlequin just died one day 1 month back. Picture attached
20211031_084446.jpg

This fish personality is unique, he never attacks anyone- when I added adult flagfin he did not chase even once (he grunts if one comes ans bosses in his space), i added queen angel and Tomini fought queen but 0 chasing from Blueface. He swam all over tank, ate but no fights.

The angel's blue colors is fadin to black-ish and developing some scab like thing on his face.

With water change he is doing much better.

I plan to put Chemi-clean today, stopping UV and Carbon and will do water change on Tuesday and resume carbon and UV on Tuesday night. Hopefully next week my tank will be happier!

Looking for some specific experience from you all!

Last edited:

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params
Phosphate < 0.25 now ans never climbs over 1
Nitrate < 25 now and does not go over 50 to 75
Salinity 1.25

The water parametrrs in the tank has always been arpund this. The only difference has been the amount of cyano and bubble algae ... anyone with specific cyano/ bubble algae experience (i know in general they are not good).

I have never had any corals.

i have 2 small bubble tip Anemone and 7 small rock flower.

Tank been upnfor 3 years. Last batch of fish changes - 3 months back i sold green bird wrasse amd pinkface, my 2 year old harlequin just died one day 1 month back. Picture attached
20211031_084446.jpg

This fish personality is unique, he never attacks anyone- when I added adult flagfin he did not chase even once (he grunts if one comes ans bosses in his space), i added queen angel and Tomini fought queen but 0 chasing from Blueface. He swam all over tank, ate but no fights.

The angel's blue colors is fadin to black-ish and developing some scab like thing on his face.

With water change he is doing much better.

I plan to put Chemi-clean today, stopping UV and Carbon and will do water change on Tuesday and resume carbon and UV on Tuesday night. Hopefully next week my tank will be happier!

Looking for some specific experience from you all!
Your phosphate and nitrate is fine for fish but whats your alkalinity? I find alkalinity is more important to fish for some reason. Sometimes just relying on salt mixes doesnt have great results. Also we cannot always put faith in our testing devices they need to be checked. Sometimes we cannot have faith in calibration solutions made by companies! Thus i chose to make my own. Randy Holmes-Farley in the chemistry forum can help with those.

What device do you use to measure salinity? Having a fish death suggests something is way off. Id suspect either salinity or alkalinity.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have you test for stray voltage and amperage? Get any zaps in the water after grounding yourself? Nice tank by the way!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first post said he has zero spots but today’s post said he has a black scab developing on his face? Did the scab appear overnight? White light pics of the scabbed face area will be helpful.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I watched closely and there are no spots or scabs ...

One of reef expert recommended I put chemiclean (the large amount of cyano releasing unacceptable levels of toxins for sensitive fish) ... i did chemiclean today. Have put a lot of aeration...

By Tuesday I am hoping to be in better position.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats his reason for chemiclean? Remove the medication? You should be testing those things I mentioned.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Chemiclean to remove Cyano ...

I do not have electricity in my water ... Alkalinity ... will check ...

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean to remove Cyano ...

I do not have electricity in my water ... Alkalinity ... will check ...
Sounds good. Cyano is an indication of high organic load. Strav voltage in my experience has caused unexpected losses. Also check ammonia thats a big killer and stress.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
He is still surviving but still not eating ... something slows down a few fishes while others are just fine ...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still surviving but still not eating ... something slows down a few fishes while others are just fine ...
What other species of fish are also not feeding well?

Jay

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A Black clownfish and a yellow tang are slowing down .. eating 30% 9f what they used to ...

But I have Hoppo tang, Butterfky, Tomini tang, Anthias, Flagfin, flamehawk, gobi that are eating like pigs. .

Something in my tank for sure but do not know what ...

My bkueface has not eaten for 2 months and swims and alive .. so certainly whatever is wrong .. is a slow killer ...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Black clownfish and a yellow tang are slowing down .. eating 30% 9f what they used to ...

But I have Hoppo tang, Butterfky, Tomini tang, Anthias, Flagfin, flamehawk, gobi that are eating like pigs. .

Something in my tank for sure but do not know what ...

My bkueface has not eaten for 2 months and swims and alive .. so certainly whatever is wrong .. is a slow killer ...
I'm sorry that I don't have a solution for this. Fish can live quite a long time without food, but at some point, they utilize their liver for energy. That keeps them going a bit longer, but they cannot recover from that point.

Here is a link to an article that I wrote on fish not feeding. It won't resolve your fish's specific issue, but maybe it will give you some additional insight into the problem:

Jay

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I started a new thread as the issues is spreading to more fishes and I wonder if this is a bacterial issue?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%

Back