• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Advance Acryics - Roll the Dice, and Buyer Beware

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

kattz

Old surfer dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a frequent poster here, but am posting this in the hopes that others will not be lured into the same problem with this person.

On 29 Feb, I contacted John at Advance Acrylics in Corona, CA to build a custom sump for me based on a recommendation by my LFS. I sent John the CAD drawings for the sump, and he priced it out, but came back later and recommended some changes. I was OK with the changes, as they were a structural improvement. I issued John a cashier's check via priority mail on 1 March. The sump was to be shipped with an order from the LFS and John had committed to a 7 Mar date.

Meanwhile, I inquired about an ATO reservior to match the sump on 7 Mar, and John priced it out, stating that it will have to go out on its own shipment. OK, no problems.

Later in the day on 7 Mar, I received a text to call John; he explained that he made the sump wrong and was going to have to remake it, and that there would be a delay of a week or so. Because of the delay, John gave me a good price on the matching ATO and I immediately PayPal'd him the funds to press on so that there would be no delay waiting on me.

Weeks passed and no communications. Emails and calls were not returned.

During the first week of May (2 months have passed), I was in the LFS that recommended John, and they stated that they had finally reached him, that John stated that my sump and ATO had been sitting in the corner of the shop ready to go for at least 4-6 weeks, but that John had lost his phone and all of his contacts. He told them that now that he had the info, he was shipping my sump and ATO immediately.

After 4 weeks passed, after asking where the sump and ATO was, I finally got a response from John on 4 Jun stating that he was finished, and that the sump and ATO would ship the week of 4 Jun or not later than the middle of the week of 11 Jun.

4 weeks later, and no items, I emailed John on 29 Jun and asked that either he ship for me to receive the sump and ATO by COB on 6 Jul or to refund my money in full. Silence. I've since emailed John again twice, and again, no response. He does not respond to inquiries from the LFS on this subject either, but responds immediately when asked to quote a new project.

In fairness to John, he does nice work. But I'm not the first person with this issue in searching on the internet, and until the last two weeks, we've had no ugly conversations, nor have I pestered him.

All of the above are the facts. I can post full transcripts of my email and phone text chains here to prove it. I've had to move on as of today and make arrangements for another sump from someone else, as I need to start a larger tank and I can't wait forever.

I just want my money back at this point. And we are not talking chump change for a cheap sump. John has had almost $1,100 of my money since 1 Mar and has not delivered anything.

So, if you got a tank or sump from John, great, he does nice work. It's not a question of his workmanship. If you haven't ordered from him other than on Ebay (User ID acrylicaquariumsuppliers) where you are protected from this type of thing, I'd recommend that you think long and hard on it before writing that check. Buyer beware.

Kev

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go visit John in person with the man in blue if this is all true. Is he somewhat local to you? Sounds unbelievably shady to me.

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks!! Hope everything works out good luck

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing how some people do business. I think this economy has definitely thinned out the herd of business owners who shouldn't be in business anyway. All the best to ya!

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered from John/AA before as well. I know plenty that have over on n-r.com and other sites too. This is a standard AA story (maybe not the 4-5 month part though). He has some of the best valued tanks out there and really does nice work to his credit. However, he is flakey and often drops off the face of the earth for weeks on end. Use paypal and eBay if he is your only option and be prepared to open a complaint/dispute if necessary. I have never heard of him flat out stealing money from folks, but a lot of people think they have been taken until their tank inexplicably shows up at their door weeks/months later than stated.

It's also worth noting that he changed his eBay screen name about 8-9 months ago but seems to have great feedback atm on his new young screen name.

Good luck OP.

(might want to fix typo in title so that people can more easily search for this later)

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have heard this exact same story multiple times over the years in regards to John/Advance Acrylics. It doesn't sound like he plans on changing his ways.

pgr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear you are having trouble with John. I hate to hear this because all my dealings with him have been very good. He built my 265 and it was ready the day he said it would be along with the custom sump. Like the op said his quality is top notch and I am so happy with my tank it truly is a very well built tank. I hope it all works out for you and that you get what you paid for it's only right. I know I will order from him again. Again sorry you are having trouble

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note to self!!! Man I pulled up that guys name and company and found absolutely nothing positive other than he does good work but his customer service sux! Thank you for posting this because I will never use this person!http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=203643

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive bought probably over 2,500 bucks of frag tanks from him and sumps, and ATO's. he has very good workmanship imo, shipping prices are steep which probably isnt his fault, but on my last order he refuses to give me back my 75.00 cause i decided i wanted a 1/2" thickness sump instead of 3/8" and he changed the price to reflect the larger size and agreed to make it the larger size.. 2 months later when it finally arrives it's 3/8" and now wont respond to pm or phonecalls or anything..
the guy is a flatout crook.

OP
OP
kattz

kattz

Old surfer dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated 14 Jul 12

Last Sunday, after making this post, I recieved an email from John where he stated that he was having difficulties with shipping due to an issue with costs from his shipping company. John stated that I would have a tracking number by the end of this past week.

That was last weekend. I have been waiting patiently for said tracking number. Yesterday evening and again this morning, I emailed John and inquired about the tracking number. However, there has been no response from John, nor any communications since last Sunday.

Kev

dc4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the lfs that recommended to use him, would take some responsibility in this matter. They should be using their business as leverage to help you get your tank asap. Whether or not someone does good work has no merit if you don't receive what you have paid for...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Sunday, after making this post, I recieved an email from John where he stated that he was having difficulties with shipping due to an issue with costs from his shipping company. John stated that I would have a tracking number by the end of this past week.

That was last weekend. I have been waiting patiently for said tracking number. Yesterday evening and again this morning, I emailed John and inquired about the tracking number. However, there has been no response from John, nor any communications since last Sunday.

Kev

Did you respond.."oh so that is why you haven't returned and calls or pm's?". What does your phone have anything to do with your vendor? Not seeing the correlation sorry! Sorry not trying to add to your frustration I just believe in calling people on their stuff!

ohioreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the lfs that recommended to use him, would take some responsibility in this matter. They should be using their business as leverage to help you get your tank asap. Whether or not someone does good work has no merit if you don't receive what you have paid for...

I doesn't help if he doesn't answer calls or mails from the LFS either. He was recommended because in the past, he has done some amazing work with spot on delivery times.

At this point, I would have a hard time using his services again.

dc4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doesn't help if he doesn't answer calls or mails from the LFS either. He was recommended because in the past, he has done some amazing work with spot on delivery times.

At this point, I would have a hard time using his services again.

In his post, he stated that the lfs gets replies right away for new orders and doesn't get replies about his order. If the lfs would use their future business with the maker as leverage, they may be able to get his tank done and shipped.

ohioreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No calls or texts get answered at this point. As of right now, there is no future business to use as "leverage". Op is a good guy and I really hope that this gets resolved and he receives his goods or a refund soon.

OP
OP
kattz

kattz

Old surfer dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't hold the LFS responsible. There was no reason to think that things were going to go this way based on how well the initial communications were going, and this was my own deal with John. The LFS knew that I was looking for a good custom sump and said that they used John and that he did excellent work. John no longer responds to texts from this LFS on this subject or any others since about 12 days ago. To their credit, the LFS has intervened by asking John what's going on with my order, and there is silence. On the other hand, I've recieved emails and PM's from others who have allegedly been going through the same thing; I was actually surprised at the number of people. One person stated to me that they have been waiting since last August for a tank.

OP
OP
kattz

kattz

Old surfer dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated:

After making the previous post Saturday, 14 Jul, I recieved an email the same day from John stating that the items made it to the packager on Thursday, 11 Jul, but that delivery was delayed until last Wednesday, 18 Jul.

John also stated that Reef Dynamics (yes, the skimmer company) would handle the shipment and that my LFS would receive a phone call three days prior to delivery.

I contacted Jeff at Reef Dynamics on 16 Jul and he verified that yes, they sometimes handle shipments for John, but was unaware of this one and he would get with John regarding it. Meanwhile, my LFS is not expecting any shipments from Jeff, so the delivery date is a bit ambiguous at best.

Neither I nor my LFS have heard anything, so I sent an email to Jeff at R/D yesterday and to John today inquiring as to the status of these items, but all has been quiet. Hopefully, I''ll have a shipping notice from R/D or John with an attached tracking number by the end of the week.

Kev

OP
OP
kattz

kattz

Old surfer dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, let me make it clear that Reef Dynamics is only the shipper and has no involvement in this issue other than shipping my goods cross country. They are not complicit in this issue and are not involved.

Second, it has been two weeks since the sump was promised to be shipped, and has not been received for shipment by the shipper nor has there been any response from John to repeated requests for documentation, communication, etc. This is a long way from a text on my phone in early March reflecting that the ATO was complete and the sump was almost done and just waiting on a few parts - four and a half months to be precise.

Therefore, after communicating with the legal authorities in Riverside County, CA earlier this week seeking their advice, I have gathered all of my evidence and, along with the CA forms for this type of complaint, forwarded this info to them for further action. It is my advice to the individuals who've PM'd or emailed me regarding your similar circumstances to do the same.

Kev

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back