Advice Appreciated: Transporting a VERY LARGE (final volume approx 800 gallons) tank

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone through several crating & freight companies, rigging companies, and specialty movers and keep getting a “No” for crating and moving my tank.

Getting really frustrated.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone through several crating & freight companies, rigging companies, and specialty movers and keep getting a “No” for crating and moving my tank.

Try actual fish stores, I know atleast in CO a few that would be able to move that easy with a very large van I think most would even offer some form of insurance. Insurance is usually the reason normal moving companies wont touch it

edit your in Florida definitely some more LFS you can reach out too! Pretty sure even top shelf does moves and im sure they have a van big enough, would have to pay a lot to get them to take it to Boston id guess though

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could coordinate a LFS to help load it onto a truck for you in tampa then you drive to boston with it and coordinate a place their to unload and place in new house/storage?

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you look into your own rental van/truck and just hiring people to lift it in and out?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is getting someone to move it out of the garage and crate it for transport. My LFS has been great, but doesn't have a crew right now, and hasn't been super helpful with this phase. Honestly, I think they're a little upset that they're going to lose out on the continued business? IDK

I even reached out to the tank manufacturer for help/advice, and they were pretty much like, "sorry bro, you're on your own".

Probably using PODS for the actual shipping so I don't have to worry about finding an additional storage solution.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absent a local moving company, you could have the custom crate built elsewhere to your dimensions then hire a local moving company or a a group of friends to assist with the crating assembly and lift. See the link below.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is getting someone to move it out of the garage and crate it for transport. My LFS has been great, but doesn't have a crew right now, and hasn't been super helpful with this phase. Honestly, I think they're a little upset that they're going to lose out on the continued business? IDK

I even reached out to the tank manufacturer for help/advice, and they were pretty much like, "sorry bro, you're on your own".

Probably using PODS for the actual shipping so I don't have to worry about finding an additional storage solution.

Isn't Reef Savvy near Tampa? I'm wondering if either they or another local tank manufacturer may be willing to help with the crate / palette portion. Since they ship tanks around the country they may also have some helpful ideas.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't Reef Savvy near Tampa? I'm wondering if either they or another local tank manufacturer may be willing to help with the crate / palette portion. Since they ship tanks around the country they may also have some helpful ideas.

As someone quoted somewhere above, it's an insurance issue and so they will only handle/transport their own products. And the manufacturer of the tank itself already declined, so I'm afraid that's been a dead-end.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absent a local moving company, you could have the custom crate built elsewhere to your dimensions then hire a local moving company or a a group of friends to assist with the crating assembly and lift. See the link below.

I didn't consider just having someone build the crate. I'll circle back with the local crating companies and see if they'd be willing to at least build the crate if they didn't have to physically move it. Good idea, thanks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back