Advice Appreciated: Transporting a VERY LARGE (final volume approx 800 gallons) tank

Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do some digging as this comes into play on occasion at work. Insurance of the rigger/crater/etc is going to be pretty important. But to the point of Kris above, it might be a good option to know the replacement cost. Maybe even think of all the nuanced stuff on your existing tank that you would like to redo. I don't know what an 800g tank costs - 15k? I have a feeling you will pay 5-10K easily just to move the existing tank.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do some digging as this comes into play on occasion at work. Insurance of the rigger/crater/etc is going to be pretty important. But to the point of Kris above, it might be a good option to know the replacement cost. Maybe even think of all the nuanced stuff on your existing tank that you would like to redo. I don't know what an 800g tank costs - 15k? I have a feeling you will pay 5-10K easily just to move the existing tank.
I did find a rigging company that was willing to give me a quote, just waiting for it to come back. I didn't think about insurance, but yeah, around $15K.

The saving grace is that the tank was not installed and set-up yet, so no equipment to break down.

The shipping quotes I've gotten have been in the $2-3K range, which seemed reasonable. Now that was before the gas spike so who knows if that still holds true, plus it did not include crating.

The saving grace is that the relocation company for the new job does offer a significant allowance for moving our stuff, otherwise this conversation would be completely different.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't just say that you have a 800 gallon tank and not show us a picture of it!

Fair enough. These are from delivery day:

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. These are from delivery day:

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg
@NoahLikesFish was right- the sump will easily strap on the lid of the Blue Sub. It would look totally awesome on the Highway at 78 passing big rigs on the road to FLA.

Again, sorry you have to move and good fortune with the logistics.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what your area is but if two men and a truck are in your are they can move that easily when I worked with them we moved grand pianos/pipe organs that weighed more than your tank and did so without damage to the items. Those were the easier items to move 3/4 inch to 1 inch glass is alot sturdier than ikea furniture.

gudelama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem. I just didn’t move that far. I rented a moving truck with a lift. Hired 6 guys to move the 300g glass aquarium. It was horrible but when it was done it’s only cost me $600. Good luck

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem. I just didn’t move that far. I rented a moving truck with a lift. Hired 6 guys to move the 300g glass aquarium. It was horrible but when it was done it’s only cost me $600. Good luck

How much weight is the lift rated for I guess would be my question. I'd love to get those big suction cup things too.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They have short trailers as well as cubes. They'll be cheaper than PODS (who also have an F rating with the BBB for what that's worth).

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure in the Tampa area you can find a commercial moving/rigging company that can crate and move your tank. That said, I'd crate it and move it to a local (Tampa) storage location i.e. don't move it to Boston until you find a suitable house. Due to my previous occupation (now retired) I pretty much moved every 3 years or so and I didn't move those kind of items until I found my new house. One move took me from GA to Wash DC and I just didn't see a way that it was practical to keep my tank (200 gallon) but I didn't see that until I found a place I could afford. My employer was paying for my move and while they would pay to move the tank, I couldn't afford a place that was large enough to make it worthwhile. In addition, I only ended up staying there for 2 and 1/2 years so has it turned out selling it was the best move.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you plan to stay in Boston and why on earth would anyone want to move north. We’re all trying to move south.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back