Advice for a first-time saltwater tank person

lyss'movingcastle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I've never had a saltwater tank before. Well, to be honest, I have never owned a fish before but I've never really thought freshwater fish were that cool to begin with (no offense <3) I'm thinking about getting a 10 gallon tank to start out with. I'm also thinking of getting an ocellaris clownfish (basic I know) to go in there. I just don't know what other fish I would have that would go good with the ocellairs and be able to survive in a 10 gal. I know I'm adding in a clean up crew, maybe 2 nassarius snails, and a peppermint shrimp. Eventually, I would love to get some coral and an anemone but again idk what would be good :/. So if I could get some advice on anything I stated here or if I'm wrong about my choices please let me know.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will echo the others suggestions for an EVO 13.5. It’s a great value for what you get, especially because the light is capable of growing some beginner corals (reef lights can get PRICEY). If you are able to order it online and pickup in-store from petco, I think they still have a 20% off coupon for all online orders that are picked up in-store.

As far as other equipment goes, you’ll need a decent heater, a small power head for some extra water flow, some dry or live rock and possibly some substrate unless you want to go with a bare bottom. You’ll also need a source of purified water to make saltwater from. It’s possible to buy this from your local fish store (LFS), but even when you have a small tank, that can get tiresome, so you may want to get a small RO/DI system so you can purify your own tap water at home. The RO Buddy is cheap and works great.

Good luck, my best advice is to go slow and do lots of reading before buying anything!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back