Advice for beginner: Best set-up for newbie

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sca 50 ..... I looked at that one as well. I ran a 60 gallon cube with sump for 3 years.... Until the bad seal blew out ..hahahaha. that being said .... I hate cubes... They are deep so it's a pain in the *** to stand in a chair and reach in to get to the bottom... And...because they are deep.24"... U need better lighting .as well Lol... Shocker.... . I liked it initially... I got a great deal on it .. that's why. I am going lagoon or rectangular , normal if u will.... This time around....im Looking at waterbox marine x. But...that's just me .. to each his or her own... Either way.. enjoy the adventure!

lilkiwi930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!! I cannot answer about the sump. I have been doing the SW hobby for 1.5 years now. I dont have a sump currently but will have a sump within the next 6 months with a bigger tank. A little nervous but doing my research. But going bigger on the tank is good for beginners because they water parameters wont fluctuate as much compared to a smaller tank or if you make a mistake it will help.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger system is going to allow more cushion for mistakes. More water volume so less drastic changes in things like pH or alk swings, ammonia spikes, or even temp changes. I don't think you'll be overwhelmed running a 50g especially if you already have some experience.
A larger tank also makes everything more expensive, and makes every problem harder to fix. Water changes are more difficult, its harder to catch fish, pull rock, etc. There are trade-offs here.

I had a bunch of reef tanks (small to very large) and then took a break for a decade. When I came back - it was with a Nuvo 40 all in one. I think its pretty much a perfect tank - big enough that its stable and you're not banging your hands on everything - and easy to deal with. A sump is a completely un-needed point of complexity at this size.

Aowen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new as well and have the same exact questions. I consider myself an expert FW keeper and got out of the hobby when I moved. Now looking to get back in, my wife asked to go saltwater. I am considering the SCA 90g myself, I like the cube look and the footprint is right for my space, what are draw backs of the cube? I saw one guy said lighting, you need stronger lights. Anything else?

OP
OP
J

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Biocube 29. I wanted to upgrade almost immediately but held out for a year and a half. The Biocube is a great platform to get your feet wet IMO as long as you ditch the lid and get a decent light. Starting with a 50G is not going to avoid the urge to upgrade quickly. I recommend starting with established live rock the first time around. Instant stability and less likely to have many issues that make new reefers give up in the first year.
Thanks! Was planning on live rock and live sand from Caribsea. Do you think I need 40-50 lbs of live rock, or could I mix live with dry?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping FW tanks for a few years, and have been researching SW off and on for the last year. I am ready to take the plunge, but can't decide on a set up. Was originally thinking Biocube 32, but I know I'll want something bigger soon after. My question is: Is it insane for a beginner to jump into something like the SCA 50 PNP with sump?? I know all of the advantages of a sump, larger volume, etc, but worried I would be overwhelmed. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

A larger tank really is not that much more work. And a sump makes things a whole bunch easier. The 50 gallon is still a bit small and will limit your choice of fish. Also the dimensions are square. It is good to have a long dimension that gives fish some room to run. It is sort of the longer the better and that can be impossible. But a similar size tank with a 3’ long dimension would be better and by all means go with the sump. And the low iron glass really improves the looks.

I know that some people suggest at least a 65 gallon tank to start with. A 90 gallon 3’ tank is good or a 120 4’ tank (which gets you into small tangs).

DrG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thirty years ago, my 1st SW tank was a 25 gallon, with a 15 gallon sump. That lasted 1 year. Needed a bigger Quarium. Next was a 50, with the 15 becoming the new sump. The sump gave extra water volume for stability. The sump also gave a place for chemipure bags. This was in the bad old days of wet/dry trickle filters. With the bigger is better bug moved on to a pair of used 120's. Good story there. Came with a tiny sump, 20g. Changed sump to about a 75 gallon custom made glass sump. Unfortunately still in the era of wet dry filters. Coral growth was poor. Then added canister filters for the chemipure and now phosgaurd. Life was better. I guess what I'm saying is get the biggest that your space and budget will allow. The maintenance doesn't take much longer for a large tank over a small one. The larger the more stable, and stability is a key in keeping healthy animals.

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, many valid point on here. Larger the more upfront cost you will need buy to get it up and starting. Plus you are now getting familiar with ways and methods and “brands “ that changes your approach to how you will want your system.

I feel a AIO around 50g or more gets your feet wet in learning from cycling and correcting parameters easier minus all the extra stuff and cost you will need for a larger tank with sump. You just never know how you will take off when it comes to starting up. There are many frustrating points or confusing moments in this hobby. So having a system that is easily manageable and can easily adjust helps you out in understanding saltwater tank needs.

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past May i started with my first saltwater adventure, after years of freshwater tanks. I actually went with the SCA 50 you are referring too. In my opinion it’s a great starter. All i had to buy was live rocks, wave makers, sand, and a light. Everything else was included as I’m sure you’ve read. It was a great way to learn about the saltwater side of the hobby and coral education. I can’t wait to see the corals grow in and cover everything. Then next year I plan to upgrade so I can keep some bigger fish and I’ll have corals i can frag to move some into the bigger tank.
88DCCDCE-87F8-4AEB-998C-EE3ACD69045A.jpeg
4D37B05E-5201-4E16-AAE4-B0FDFD512EB4.jpeg
BE16F25C-592F-4B19-938C-4D60B7968ACA.jpeg
D9DE48CA-6D3A-4885-948E-F6BBC6B387B1.jpeg
C02FC490-F274-417D-8F93-A741474DB1CE.jpeg
83CE6823-85FE-464D-92DE-FE334FC082B3.jpeg

Aowen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it too. Ide love to go big, I just don't have the space, I'm thinking the 90g is the best size I can get. 36" is about all the room I have, if I want adequate access to all 3 sides. Is 36" tall a pain to clean and light properly? Maybe the 50g is the way to go

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger to a point. Swings won't be as deadly, however the bigger the tank, the more costly the up keep. More dosing, more lights, more pumps, more coral, more fish, more fish food, more back up parts, more well, you get the idea. I went from a 65 gallon Frankenstein tank, to a 20 IM to my current 50 SCA, happy hunting....

Roachbeef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely go as big as you can afford with a sump. You will love having the sump. Don't get a tank with filtration built in the back. Had them and hated them. Like I said go sump as big as you can!!!!!! Enjoy!!!

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a former FW breeder fishroom freak.. I can tell you Reefing is the thing to do. Sell all that freshwater stuff. Use it to get good equipment. I can tell you get as big of a tank as you can afford and have room for. I am already looking at upgrading because I did not do that. And I KNEW better... I want the 4 foot 120. prefer the 24 tall 150 or the 24 high x 4 ft x 30 deep??? or is it 36.. anyway.. a 180. I cant get it into the house however.. Big turn at the bottom of the stairs.. and then another immediate turn again.. the 150 I can get in.. the 180.. Maybe thru a window.. BUT this is not about me hijacking your thread.. Its about you.. WELCOME to R2R.. You wont regret being here.. except we are all pretty much sick people .. Really.. Really SIck.. But in a good way.

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping FW tanks for a few years, and have been researching SW off and on for the last year. I am ready to take the plunge, but can't decide on a set up. Was originally thinking Biocube 32, but I know I'll want something bigger soon after. My question is: Is it insane for a beginner to jump into something like the SCA 50 PNP with sump?? I know all of the advantages of a sump, larger volume, etc, but worried I would be overwhelmed. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

In my experience, experienced fishkeepers who make the jump to salt almost always start with something small and then upgrade. If you're able, I'd just start big. And as a lot of people have mentioned larger tanks are more forgiving of mistakes because of the water volume.

What sort of critters are you interested in? Fish only or do you want to try coral?

SamiTANKS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Was planning on live rock and live sand from Caribsea. Do you think I need 40-50 lbs of live rock, or could I mix live with dry?
I started with a used 29 gallon BioCube almost a yr and a half ago and its still my main tank. I bought 45 lb of dry Rock which ended up being overkill. You probly only need 20-30 lbs but it never hurts having extra Rock, plus the best amazon deals on dry rock always come in 45 lbs for some reason lol.

Within a couple months, I wished I got the sca 50 or a 40-75 gal setup that already had a sump. What's really nice about the BioCube up to the SCA 60, is you only need one good quailty light to get good coverage.
CMGPH_20200701_134408964.gif

OP
OP
J

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, experienced fishkeepers who make the jump to salt almost always start with something small and then upgrade. If you're able, I'd just start big. And as a lot of people have mentioned larger tanks are more forgiving of mistakes because of the water volume.

What sort of critters are you interested in? Fish only or do you want to try coral?
Ultimately, I think I would like a mixed reef. Started looking at the Fluval 32.5, and it may be a good starter. I prefer the long tanks over cubes. I know the light isn’t the best for coral, but thinking I can get a decent size starter, with a good look, and maybe keep my set up under 1k. I know the hobby isn’t cheap, and that doesn’t concern me necessarily. But I would hate to drop 2k on a bigger system and find out I can’t manage it. No rush, still obsessively researching...

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, I think I would like a mixed reef. Started looking at the Fluval 32.5, and it may be a good starter. I prefer the long tanks over cubes. I know the light isn’t the best for coral, but thinking I can get a decent size starter, with a good look, and maybe keep my set up under 1k. I know the hobby isn’t cheap, and that doesn’t concern me necessarily. But I would hate to drop 2k on a bigger system and find out I can’t manage it. No rush, still obsessively researching...

Sounds like you've got things under control whatever choice you make. A cube can look pretty slick if you set it up in the right place, but I see the appeal of a long tank. Before buying my current setup, I'd never used a cube before. I only got one because of the space limitations in my studio apartment. Also, I'm a huge fan of buying used off craigslist instead of buying a brand new system. Some might disagree with me, but as long as it holds water, a tank is a tank. Where you want top notch/new gear is with the lighting and filtration. When you decide on a tank, be sure to start up a build thread!

P.S. my 20 gallon cube was four years old and used when I purchase it for $45! And I'm a happy camper.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back