OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I actually just set up the tank tonight should I make a build thread or just post pictures here?

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post here so that those of us that have entered the thread will get notifications.

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I have come to the decision to transition from freshwater to saltwater as this is something I have been thinking about and researching for the past 5 months. There is a really good deal on a BioCube 32 with a stand, heater, and an upgraded pump and everything else for $250 right now and I'm thinking I am going to snatch it. Basically I want to present my setup and I would like advice and anything else you can give me. So of course the tank will be the BioCube 32. For the sump in the back I'll be using the inTank Corallife LED Biocube 32 Fuge Basket with Chaetomorpha Algae for my Refugium. I will also be getting the Coralife upgraded media basket too in it filter floss and Seachem Purigen or Chemipure Blue. I also will be using a powerhead of course. What protein skimmer is recommended for this tank really? I know nano protein skimmers don't have the best rep but I think going that way would be helpful. I am trying to decide between two types of sand. The first type is CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand and the second is CaribSea Arag-alive Fiji Pink Sand. What do you guys recommend? Now for the rock is it best to go to my LFS (Not a big box place) and just hand select 32-40 pounds of rock I like or just order it online?Also is dry rock a better choice? I am personally leaning towards that option. I'm not really worried about the stocking yet because I know nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank but I'll just share the stocking that I would potentially want then go from there. 2 Ocellaris Clownfish (a must for me), a Clown Goby, and 3 Kaudern's Cardinalfish. I am totally open to other stocking suggestions but the Clownfish are set in stone. I'll be cycling the tank using Dr. Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria and Pure Ammonia. Any tips for cycling a saltwater tank as opposed to a freshwater tank?
Now lastly, I REALLY want to keep a few corals after my tank is healthy (hopefully) and up and running for 4-6 months. Any suggestions for simple to keep coral and what supplements they will need?
One last question, should I use snails as a cleaner crew when needed or shrimp too? Sorry for all the questions but I like to be prepared!
I have two Mocha clowns, 3 Kaudern’s cardinals, and an African Midas blenny in my Biocube 32 with two tiny emerald crabs, a fire shrimp, and three huge turbo snails. I look forward to following your journey into saltwater addiction!

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos of my current scape I love my arch but those white rocks are just live rock from my LFS that I am seeding the tank with so I haven’t really decided a permanent place for those in the tank but here are some tank shots I set it up two days ago. I will do a more detailed explanation of the tank and my plan for it tomorrow I have just been super busy lately.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok quick update the tank is going through what appears to be a Diatom Bloom. I switched out the arch with a different live rock because it wasn’t stable. Should be getting my Starry Blenny in this week I’m having my LFS order it in but my QT is all set up and cycled and ready to go for it. Hopefully finally a full update later tonight.

image.jpg image.jpg 93933D19-BE28-45A7-977E-D209A53AD390.jpeg

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!! Hope tanks, and you are doing well. I am at a dilemma. I want to add an automatic fish feeder to my coralife 32 biocube. Anyone using one? Suggestions, experience?

Ozelaf44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I have come to the decision to transition from freshwater to saltwater as this is something I have been thinking about and researching for the past 5 months. There is a really good deal on a BioCube 32 with a stand, heater, and an upgraded pump and everything else for $250 right now and I'm thinking I am going to snatch it. Basically I want to present my setup and I would like advice and anything else you can give me. So of course the tank will be the BioCube 32. For the sump in the back I'll be using the inTank Corallife LED Biocube 32 Fuge Basket with Chaetomorpha Algae for my Refugium. I will also be getting the Coralife upgraded media basket too in it filter floss and Seachem Purigen or Chemipure Blue. I also will be using a powerhead of course. What protein skimmer is recommended for this tank really? I know nano protein skimmers don't have the best rep but I think going that way would be helpful. I am trying to decide between two types of sand. The first type is CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand and the second is CaribSea Arag-alive Fiji Pink Sand. What do you guys recommend? Now for the rock is it best to go to my LFS (Not a big box place) and just hand select 32-40 pounds of rock I like or just order it online?Also is dry rock a better choice? I am personally leaning towards that option. I'm not really worried about the stocking yet because I know nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank but I'll just share the stocking that I would potentially want then go from there. 2 Ocellaris Clownfish (a must for me), a Clown Goby, and 3 Kaudern's Cardinalfish. I am totally open to other stocking suggestions but the Clownfish are set in stone. I'll be cycling the tank using Dr. Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria and Pure Ammonia. Any tips for cycling a saltwater tank as opposed to a freshwater tank?
Now lastly, I REALLY want to keep a few corals after my tank is healthy (hopefully) and up and running for 4-6 months. Any suggestions for simple to keep coral and what supplements they will need?
One last question, should I use snails as a cleaner crew when needed or shrimp too? Sorry for all the questions but I like to be prepared!
Sounds great, I use the special grade sand, I bought the sand from petsmart because they had a sale where its $28 I think, it may still be up. I’d say 10 trochus, 10 nassarius, and 15 hermit crabs will be good for a biocube. The shrimp wont really clean the sand, rocks, and glass, theyre mostly ornamental. I used fritz turbostart and a frozen cube which worked great, theyre both great. I went with the dry rock/sand route due to the high price of live rock, and dry rock is easier in my opinion. You can add Helix coralline algae and watch it grow in a couple months. My friend has a nano IM nuvo 10, which he uses the IM protein skimmer, the cheapest one not sure which model. Good luck on your tank!

just realized that its all already setup lol this is a response to your first post

Ozelaf44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!! Hope tanks, and you are doing well. I am at a dilemma. I want to add an automatic fish feeder to my coralife 32 biocube. Anyone using one? Suggestions, experience?
Ive heard the apex one is good, best bet the Eheim if you dont have an apex though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back