Advice for converting existing reef to frag tank...

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have a 40b that's been up and running for close to 3 years... it's my first reef since the 90s, and looking back i feel like I could have done better. Throughout the life of the tank I've purchased just about every coral on a whim, and imo its just a jumbled mess of random stuff that shouldn't be in a tank together... true mixed reef. Well I have a pair of clowns that decided to go to war with each other and I was "forced" to set up another tank.. or get rid of one of the clowns.. or let them kill each other. I went with the new tank. Now that I have a new tank I plan on putting together a more thoughtful reef environment, probably a Caribbean themed tank. That leaves me with the old reef and what to do with it. Well, I think I would really like to convert it to a frag system that would also house the fish that currently reside there also. So here's where I'm looking for a little advice, maybe some suggestions. I'm thinking it should be as easy as removing the rocks, vacuuming the sand out, and adding in some frag racks. I have a giant marine pure block that's been in the sump since day one, so would that provide enough bio filtration in itself? I know it will, but I mean as in removing all the rock and sand in one go? Or maybe it would be smarter to slowly remove the rocks and then move onto the sand.. plus I have a mandarin. He eats some pellets but mainly spends his days hunting pods so I'd hate to take that away from him. Idk if I should wait for the new tank to become more established (pod population) and move him to that or leave him in the frag tank, once it's actually a frag tank. Writing this post, it sounds like i already have my answers but who knows, maybe there's someone out there that can lend me some good advice... I'm not doing this next weekend or anything. Just thinking on it for now, but I'm so tired of this tank and really am starting to hate it!! Thanks for taking the time to read my rant.
20220911_145038.jpg
20220911_145029.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably do it in stages, ie: remove the corals to a temporary holding tank, then any rocks and finally the sand. Probably a good 50% water change as well as filter changes with all the crap that's going to get stirred up.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would probably do it in stages, ie: remove the corals to a temporary holding tank, then any rocks and finally the sand. Probably a good 50% water change as well as filter changes with all the crap that's going to get stirred up.
I don't really have anywhere to move the corals so I'll probably just do it over the course of a few months, slowly removing rocks / sand and adding racks. My biggest challenge will be convincing my gf why I need to get rid of her aquascape and replace it with egg crate

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back