Advice for disease management Vs eradication for a new reefer

Prairie Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so to start off I'm a new reefer running the Red Sea max nano peninsula. it seems that my tank has a case of ich which appeared on my Midas blenny so I put it and my watchmen in qt with copper power to treat and planned on doing the 80 degree 6 week fallow period and got a UV in my display. I practice qt for my fish but I don't qt corals or inverts probably how I got it which I know in a perfect world I should qt them. but since this is my first tank and honestly am just getting my feet wet in the hobby I don't want to have to have like 4 tanks set up and buy all the extra lights especially since its only a 26 gal. when i eventually I upgrade to a much larger tank 100 gal + I think I will be more strict and qt everything before it goes into display.

so in the end my question is if im not going to qt corals at this moment (I could do inverts I guess) is being very strict on eradication and fallow pointless and more just go the management route and qt fish. just expect there to be some level of ich and others parasites etc in the tank and keep the fish healthy and not stressed, run UV and hope they will be okay. because even if I do a fallow period and I add a new frag 3 days later that fallow was basically pointless? should I even go fallow? any tips or suggestions welcome. thanks in advance:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding live chopped clams and oysters from the supermarket is a good way to boost the immune response of your fish ime. I don’t have the patience or skill to eradicate natural pests with quarantine and fallow no matter how hard I have tried I always see the spots appearing on the vulnerable fish. I used to get worried about it but I have learned to feed the fish well and let them shake off their natural pests with a good immune response rather than chemical warfare as the method for controlling disease.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep your fish happy. Don't overstock your stank, choose your fish very carefully to avoid fighting, keep good water conditions and keep them well fed. Basically, avoid any kind of stress to the fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back