Advice for flow in 75 gallon set up

DocRoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently finished setting up my 75 gallon tank with a ton of live rock and a few different fish (2 clowns, 1 tomini tang, and a starry goby). My goal is to get into growing some different corals and I'm not sure how to go about creating flow. Well, my main question is how much flow is too much too. I currently run a jebao crossflow wave pump but I also have 2 powerheads that I'm not using. Was just worried about creating too much flow! Any opinions or advice is appreciated!!!

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a softy/LPS tank, then 20x-50x is a good target. Realistically, you want good water movement without blasting the corals so much they close. That will probably require some fine tuning.

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 140L, and I use one rossmont M4600 (4600lph), M5800 (5800lph) with waver and a maxspect Jump.
Both rossmont are in the opposite sides facing each other, creating standing waves 24h, one setup. Maxspect Jump 2K (7000lph) creating additional gyre flow, programmed for 8 time points.

OP
OP
DocRoz

DocRoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 140L, and I use one rossmont M4600 (4600lph), M5800 (5800lph) with waver and a maxspect Jump.
Both rossmont are in the opposite sides facing each other, creating standing waves 24h, one setup. Maxspect Jump 2K (7000lph) creating additional gyre flow, programmed for 8 time points.

I currently have a gyre jebao 120 running 24/7 besides feeding. I want to put 2 powerheads facing each other from opposite sides but I'm afraid il have too much flow and turbulence. I have some mushrooms and have some zoas on the way!

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of coral can withstand standing waves. The key is to find the right pulse frequency that gives a constructive resonance between two powerheads. This will make coral sway back and forth, right and left. Your gyre can give more randomness to tank flow, as long as not blowing sand.

OP
OP
DocRoz

DocRoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I currently have a gyre jebao 120 running 24/7 besides feeding. I want to put 2 powerheads facing each other from opposite sides but I'm afraid il have too much flow and turbulence. I have some mushrooms and have some zoas on the way
Most of coral can withstand standing waves. The key is to find the right pulse frequency that gives a constructive resonance between two powerheads. This will make coral sway back and forth, right and left. Your gyre can give more randomness to tank flow, as long as not blowing sand.

I have a bare bottom set up! Currently have a few favia and a duncan. Some zoas on the way so just trying to make sure the flow is down first!

Back