ADVICE FOR HOMEMADE BATTERY BACKUP FOR ICECAP 3K GYRE

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have been toying with the idea of getting the Icecap 3K GYRE to replace one of the MP10's on my tank (38 gallon).
I would want a battery back up as well, but as I have a couple of 12V 18AH batteries, I'd prefer to make a DIY battery backup for the Icecap.
I made one for the MP10 by modifying their plug so I could connect it to the battery and it works great.
The problem is, I believe that the pin size for the Icecap battery backup is a different size than that on the Vortech plug.
If this is true, it presumably might still work if I can get a DC plug adapter which I would connect to the Vortech plug that would have the correct size -at the male end- for the 3k outlet.
I was wondering if anyone can first confirm if there is a size differential between the plugs and secondly (assuming there is a difference in the plugs) that an adapter would work and what size adapter might be required?
Thanks
David

Chevyaddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pin are you referring to? I have an Icecap gyre and Mp40s and may be able to help. Although looking at the gyre, I do not see a place to plugin a battery backup.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've already got a few 12v SLA or gel batteries, why wire them directly to the pump? Get a used PC UPS and run the batteries in parallel, you'll maintain the same runtime and add all of the fault circuitry with the added benefit of having a built in battery tender.

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pin are you referring to? I have an Icecap gyre and Mp40s and may be able to help. Although looking at the gyre, I do not see a place to plugin a battery backup.
Thanks for the reply.
By the "pin" I was referring to the part of the plug for the battery backup that inserts into your MP40.
I assumed that the 3K Gyre has a similar outlet for a battery backup.
How is a battery backup done on the 3K?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have been toying with the idea of getting the Icecap 3K GYRE to replace one of the MP10's on my tank (38 gallon).
I would want a battery back up as well, but as I have a couple of 12V 18AH batteries, I'd prefer to make a DIY battery backup for the Icecap.
I made one for the MP10 by modifying their plug so I could connect it to the battery and it works great.
The problem is, I believe that the pin size for the Icecap battery backup is a different size than that on the Vortech plug.
If this is true, it presumably might still work if I can get a DC plug adapter which I would connect to the Vortech plug that would have the correct size -at the male end- for the 3k outlet.
I was wondering if anyone can first confirm if there is a size differential between the plugs and secondly (assuming there is a difference in the plugs) that an adapter would work and what size adapter might be required?
Thanks
David
If I understand correctly all you need is couple of D.C. Barrel jacks that will convert your existing mp10 backup supply to icecap . You can get different male female barrel jacks in amazon and then wire them up

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly all you need is couple of D.C. Barrel jacks that will convert your existing mp10 backup supply to icecap . You can get different male female barrel jacks in amazon and then wire them up
By the sheerest coincidence, TB Aquatics is running a sale today and I decided to get another MP10.
Actually the Vortechs and the icecap 3K Gyre were on sale. I was tempted to get the Icecap but I've read too many reviews about them being noisy or eventually becoming noisy. I've used Vortechs for years and I've had great experience with them. One of my MP10's were the older model which does make some noise but that will be replaced by the QD, so I'll have the older as a backup.
Thanks for telling me about the Barrel Jacks. I had been looking for them but didn't know what they're called. I'll keep it in mind if sometime down the road I consider getting a gyre pump or something similar

Chevyaddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the sheerest coincidence, TB Aquatics is running a sale today and I decided to get another MP10.
Actually the Vortechs and the icecap 3K Gyre were on sale. I was tempted to get the Icecap but I've read too many reviews about them being noisy or eventually becoming noisy. I've used Vortechs for years and I've had great experience with them. One of my MP10's were the older model which does make some noise but that will be replaced by the QD, so I'll have the older as a backup.
Thanks for telling me about the Barrel Jacks. I had been looking for them but didn't know what they're called. I'll keep it in mind if sometime down the road I consider getting a gyre pump or something similar

Probably a good thing you bought another MP10 because my Icecap Gyre does not have a plug for a battery backup. Besides power coming in and cord going to the gyre, the only other thing the controller has is a micro sd slot... maybe for updates?? Unless you use a UPS like stated above, I don't think the designed them to have a battery backup.

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good thing you bought another MP10 because my Icecap Gyre does not have a plug for a battery backup. Besides power coming in and cord going to the gyre, the only other thing the controller has is a micro sd slot... maybe for updates?? Unless you use a UPS like stated above, I don't think the designed them to have a battery backup.
As far as I understand, Icecap makes a battery backup for the Maxspect Gyres and yet it is not made for the Icecap Gyre?
Doesn't make a lot of sense

Chevyaddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I understand, Icecap makes a battery backup for the Maxspect Gyres and yet it is not made for the Icecap Gyre?
Doesn't make a lot of sense

Most likely due to cost. To add the automatic switching battery backup would add cost to the Icecap gyre. The whole idea of the Icecap gyre was to be cheaper than the Macspect ones without sacrificing flow and design. It also has less features in the controller.

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly glad I didn't get it then.
I was under the impression (mistaken obviously) that all DC pumps had an outlet for Battery backup.
So glad I got the MP10QD which, by the way, is out for delivery.
BTW how is your Icecap working out?

Chevyaddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the gyre. I have it on a 150 cube with two mp40qd's and the flow from the gyre really adds that switching chaotic flow that sps love! Easy to clean and very easy to setup and use. Also, for the price, they are hard to beat!

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the gyre. I have it on a 150 cube with two mp40qd's and the flow from the gyre really adds that switching chaotic flow that sps love! Easy to clean and very easy to setup and use. Also, for the price, they are hard to beat!
I'll keep that in mind down the road, although not having a battery backup is definitely a shortcoming.
I just was turned off by all the people who claimed noise from the get go and those that complained that it became noisy, eventually.
Glad yours is working out

Chevyaddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does have an audible humming noise when close to the tank. I have two boys, one is 2 and the other is 4, so noise was not a concern for me as they drown out any noise even the loudest reef tank could make!

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've already got a few 12v SLA or gel batteries, why wire them directly to the pump? Get a used PC UPS and run the batteries in parallel, you'll maintain the same runtime and add all of the fault circuitry with the added benefit of having a built in battery tender.

This is suboptimal, for several reasons. To start with, you will absolutely not maintain the same runtime doing what you describe, even if the efficiency is 99% (for most UPSs, it's below 90% and drops as the load gets smaller).

Next, Battery Tenders are an actual brand of lead acid charger and have much better charging logic than most UPSs I've come across. Most of the time, a UPS floats batteries at 13.6 - 13.8VDC. Floating batteries isn't the end of the world, but it's not as good as using a smart charger. You'll eventually get sulfation and stratification without having a 14VDC + cycle in your charge routine.

Additionally, a PC UPS uses an AC/DC inverter. So, it converts the DC from the batteries to 110/120VAC, then the Gyre's power supply converts the AC back to DC again. Not the most efficient. Compounding runtime and efficiency problems, AC inverters typically run most efficiently close to their maximum rating. I have a 1,100W AC/DC inverter that supposedly has 90% efficiency. The measured efficiency rate for small 5 - 10W loads is close to -100%. That's right, the inverter uses 2 watts of DC power to produce 1W of AC power.

Finally, if anything fails in the UPS (the charger, the failover switch, the AC/DC inverter, etc) and you don't notice or don't get warned appropriately, you could be hosed if the power ever fails. With a battery-to-pump setup, you only have two points of failure, the batteries and the charger, both of which are pretty easy to tell if a failure occurs. Plus, if a part fails with your battery or a charger, just chuck it and get a new one. If a part fails in a UPS you've disassembled, you need to throw it out and start over.

If you have DC pump, wiring the batteries directly to the pump is the best way to wire a battery backup.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your absolutely correct. I have begrudgingly gone to a Gyre xf280 because I need to support a 74" tank with 1.25" wall thinness. The Gyre xf280 does this just fine, but that fact it comes with so many spare parts is a sign the manufacturer wants to appease you to pass the warranty period.

24V or 12V backup supply is best done with a modern float trickle charger and AGM batteries for deep cycle performance. I have used a Odessy AGM with maintain charger for years. It is best to keep batteries on wood instead of concrete but I trust this battery system. Two batteries can also output 24V with a 24v charger wired correctly. The boxed options are usually just wrapped motorcycle batteries. A much better solution can be found from hooking up a few wires.

Does any one know the size of the DC barrel connector to the XF200 series? I need a cable to finish installation and Radio shack is a thing of the past for sizing in the shop. I also read somewhere the DC wiring may not be standard.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back