Advice needed for fish list for Newbie

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new 105 gal Red Sea Peninsula (48"X24"X24"). Plan to have a mixed reef with primarily LPS for corals. Would like also to have a couple of shrimp, crabs and standard cleanup crew.My initial stab at a stocking list. Please advise - too many fish? Compatibility issues? Coral safe? etc, etc. I know you guys will have some great advice!

List & Stocking order:

2 Clownfish
1 Coral Beauty
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Firefish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Yellow Tang
1 Kole Tang
1 6 Line Wrasse
1 Hawkfish
1 Royal Gramma

THANKS!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new 105 gal Red Sea Peninsula (48"X24"X24"). Plan to have a mixed reef with primarily LPS for corals. Would like also to have a couple of shrimp, crabs and standard cleanup crew.My initial stab at a stocking list. Please advise - too many fish? Compatibility issues? Coral safe? etc, etc. I know you guys will have some great advice!

List & Stocking order:

2 Clownfish
1 Coral Beauty
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Firefish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Yellow Tang
1 Kole Tang
1 6 Line Wrasse
1 Hawkfish
1 Royal Gramma

THANKS!
IMO you are on the bubble with this amount. I have a 90 with few fish, 5 usually and find it more manageable. I would personally start with less. Perhaps half that amount. The Yellow and Kole may have issues...remember you can always add more. Go with the cheaper options on your list first. Happy reefing.

Also congrats on your Aggies in a rather odd college football season. They have looked really good imo....my WVU Mountaineers a work in progress...

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you are on the bubble with this amount. I have a 90 with few fish, 5 usually and find it more manageable. I would personally start with less. Perhaps half that amount. The Yellow and Kole may have issues...remember you can always add more. Go with the cheaper options on your list first. Happy reefing.

Also congrats on your Aggies in a rather odd college football season. They have looked really good imo....my WVU Mountaineers a work in progress...
Yes, good idea I'll be adding very slowly maybe first 5 - 6 fish over the next 6 months and then take it from there. And yes, the Aggies look to have avoided the end-of-season meltdown they've had the past few years. Probably won't be able to leapfrog Ohio State for the playoffs though, ah well....

FrioActual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

List & Stocking order:

2 Clownfish
1 Coral Beauty
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Firefish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Yellow Tang
1 Kole Tang
1 6 Line Wrasse
1 Hawkfish
1 Royal Gramma

THANKS!
The wrasse and firefish MIGHT be an issue since wrasses are aggressive and firefish are wimps.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

List & Stocking order:

2 Clownfish
1 Coral Beauty
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Firefish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Yellow Tang
1 Kole Tang
1 6 Line Wrasse
1 Hawkfish
1 Royal Gramma

THANKS!
Out of that list, I would offer these thoughts:

1. I would either do do Coral Beauty or the Flame Angel, but not both. Both species can eat corals (though CBs are less notorious for it), and having two angels doubles your chances of one of them having a taste for it.

2. Two tangs could work, but there is potential for fighting or one of them outgrowing the tank. I would introduce them at the same time if you get them, and introduce them last.

3. Six-line wrasse - wouldn't get him. Some are extremely aggressive, and they're nearly impossible to get out of the tank if they end up being meanies. Look at some of the other wrasses, the fairy and flasher wrasses in particular are much more peaceful and even prettier. You do need a lid though.

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. I would either do do Coral Beauty or the Flame Angel, but not both. Both species can eat corals (though CBs are less notorious for it), and having two angels doubles your chances of one of them having a taste for it.

2. Two tangs could work, but there is potential for fighting or one of them outgrowing the tank. I would introduce them at the same time if you get them, and introduce them last.

3. Six-line wrasse - wouldn't get him. Some are extremely aggressive, and they're nearly impossible to get out of the tank if they end up being meanies. Look at some of the other wrasses, the fairy and flasher wrasses in particular are much more peaceful and even prettier. You do need a lid though.
Thanks so much for the good advice!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree with all of this.... my CB have been lucky with, as well the more recent intro of Eibli Angel as tankmate. It was/is a huge risk in terms of tolerance between species and the coral. Fingers crossed all remains good. Yes Tangs last, and also possible aggression. And those dang six lines lol....man, they are known as being bullies....

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back