Advice needed for Ich and new tank

Leo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, ok ive been running a 94litre kent marine tank and had ich get out of control and lost alot of fish:( i tried poly lab and didnt work.

So I am now setting up a new 450 Litre tank and keeping the 94l as a QT tank

so my question is how to do this for set up in my 94 i have duncans toadstool torch and hammer - goby and peacock wrasse cleaner shrimp and snails.

I will be setting up my new tank with new sand water and dead rock so been advised to use colony with the rock to start cycle and add a fish after a couple of days - which would be new but not qtd. when and how could i move my corals as i dont want the ich going with them to the new tank?

then how do i copper the 94l and how long before i could move those fish to new tank?
Then when i get new fish in the qt tank do i always ensure copper is in there and how long before they get moved ?

Sorry alot of questions i need to get this right :(

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a couple of options at this point. Ich management (which is if you were to transfer your original fish and go with the plan of adding the non-qtd fish after a few days) or ich eradication/treatment. In this situation, I would advise the latter- it would involve a QT (or simply using the TTM) for your original fish as well as your new fish. You would still need to leave your original tank fallow before transferring anything.

Beyond the obvious benefits of this plan vs. ich management for the new setup/reefer, it would allow your new tank time to mature and cycle. I'm not a proponent of using bacterial additives without directly testing to ensure the bacterial population is able to handle the bioload- I've seen too many cases where the efficacy of a particular product doesn't ensure the efficacy of the bottle you are holding in your hands and it's lead to some poor outcomes :(.

Have you seen this great write up from Humblefish?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back