Advice Needed Live Rock Or Dry Rock New Tank

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all, Im going to be booting up a new 32gallon Biocube tank and need some advice on picking Dry rock or Live alittle background experience ive had

current tank i have i bought live from LFS and Petco (cheapest ) got a bunch of hitch hikers i was also super new to the hobby i got some Stars, Vermitd snails which i hate!, some weird bugs no idea what kind but they like traveling together. and Bristle worms which i hate with a passion.

so i was thinking of buying a box of 40lb dry reef rock and just let it cycle for a month or so before i start transfering my stuff back in " ill be soaking all corals before entering the tank "
was doing some research and people claim that having dry rock cycle can cause alot of problems like bad algea break outs, alot of phosphates things in that nature any advice is good advice

also if anyone has any methods of ideas how i should transfer my 10g tank into the 32 biocube please tell me the rocks ill most likely toss definitely dont want those dang snails again or bristle worms only thing ill do is remove all corals dip them and maybe put them on new plugs or glue straight to the rock anemones i dunno yet heard you cant really dip them? if anyone has any good methods of dipping aswell have never tried it

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Letting the new dry rock cycle or ‘cure’ for a good long time - even 3-4 months - before using it is a great way to go. Keep it in the dark with heat and flow, do 100% water changes once in a while. Test for phosphate.
What kind of dry rock are you considering?

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of dry rock... not a fan of hitchhikers. You do miss out on some cool stuff sometimes though. My LFS has some live rock with blue coralline that I'm tempted to get!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the tank I have now with rock I have had for 10 years. I went out and got more and picked the dirtiest most algae covered live rocks I could find and put them straight in.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Letting the new dry rock cycle or ‘cure’ for a good long time - even 3-4 months - before using it is a great way to go. Keep it in the dark with heat and flow, do 100% water changes once in a while. Test for phosphate.
What kind of dry rock are you considering?
Trying to find something for a small budget

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • None.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back