Advice on changing carbon cartridge on rodi unit?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all hope all is well.

So my understanding is im changing sediment filter and carbon cartridge as my tds now staying at 1 tds,last 2 weeks making water i had to run it for 30 minutes first to get to 0 tds but cartridges been in 6 months so due a change.
So i change sediment filter and run the unit with flush valve open so flushes out to waste before reaches membrane for say 10 minutes ?
Then change carbon cartridge and flush this out for another say 10 minutes to remove any carbon dust so doesnt clog up the membrane?
Then run it through all the filters including di resin for another 10 minutes just to be safe ( probably not needed if tds 0 ?)
Then if tds 0 then i can use this water ?
If im missing anything please tell me.
I looked on my rodi makers website and see no information but im little busy out the house and trying to get the information so as soon as get home can replace and make water so can have some saltwater mixing for an overdue wc tommorrow ( only 5 days over weekly wc) but just started feeding clams so more feed going in the tank so want to get wc done asap.as i tried undoing carbon cartridge few months ago but was on so tight i give up and thought tds still 0 so all ok,i made 25 litres rodi water up at 1 tds just incase break canister if worse happens but sure i can remove it as been in tighter spaces and undone/ tightened harder things in past.
Any info be appreciated thankyou ^_^

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all hope all is well.

So my understanding is im changing sediment filter and carbon cartridge as my tds now staying at 1 tds,last 2 weeks making water i had to run it for 30 minutes first to get to 0 tds but cartridges been in 6 months so due a change.
So i change sediment filter and run the unit with flush valve open so flushes out to waste before reaches membrane for say 10 minutes ?
Then change carbon cartridge and flush this out for another say 10 minutes to remove any carbon dust so doesnt clog up the membrane?
Then run it through all the filters including di resin for another 10 minutes just to be safe ( probably not needed if tds 0 ?)
Then if tds 0 then i can use this water ?
If im missing anything please tell me.
I looked on my rodi makers website and see no information but im little busy out the house and trying to get the information so as soon as get home can replace and make water so can have some saltwater mixing for an overdue wc tommorrow ( only 5 days over weekly wc) but just started feeding clams so more feed going in the tank so want to get wc done asap.as i tried undoing carbon cartridge few months ago but was on so tight i give up and thought tds still 0 so all ok,i made 25 litres rodi water up at 1 tds just incase break canister if worse happens but sure i can remove it as been in tighter spaces and undone/ tightened harder things in past.
Any info be appreciated thankyou ^_^
I rinse the carbon block under the tap first, then change both filters, then go through the RO bypass, as you describe.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI unit's instructions say to rinse/flush a new sediment and carbon cartridges by installing them in their housings.... remove the DI filter from it's housing.... flip the flush valve to drain/flush and run it for half hour that way. Discarding all waste and product water for a half hour.
Then it says re-install the DI filter and then run 2 gallons (product) through it to flush that. discard the 2 gallons of product and then you should be good to go as long as you are getting 0 tds on your meter again.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to installing a 3-way valve i would disconnect the feed line going into the membrane and fill a 5 gallon buck to keep all carbon fines from getting into the membrane.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse the carbon block under the tap first, then change both filters, then go through the RO bypass, as you describe.
Thanks for reply.yeah was thinking rinsing under tap like you do with activated carbon but some reason my head saying dont do it even though tap water runs through it whilst unit running lol

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI unit's instructions say to rinse/flush a new sediment and carbon cartridges by installing them in their housings.... remove the DI filter from it's housing.... flip the flush valve to drain/flush and run it for half hour that way. Discarding all waste and product water for a half hour.
Then it says re-install the DI filter and then run 2 gallons (product) through it to flush that. discard the 2 gallons of product and then you should be good to go as long as you are getting 0 tds on your meter again.
Ok thanks for reply and telling me your instructions as guess most manufacturers say do the same but i mislaid or maybe even through my paper instructions out.im finally home at 8pm so will have a cuppa then jump under kitchen sink and try my hardest get these cartridges out ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to installing a 3-way valve i would disconnect the feed line going into the membrane and fill a 5 gallon buck to keep all carbon fines from getting into the membrane.
Im a plumbing and heating engineer myself but when bought this rodi unit 5 years ago it was cheaper to buy a ready made 4 stage unit than buying all the parts/canisters/tubing/booster pumps etc etc and putting it together myself so just bought pre-made so wont be installing nothing.
With tracing all the pipework as it goes through the canisters and switches/valves/pumps etc the flush valve/ flush tubing going to waste is lower than the membrane so im thinking as it flushes all the fine particles should just get flushed away as water takes quickest easiest route and as i got no end caps for the rodi tubing i cant remove the small pieces off piping and cap it off so waste water when flushes just gets flushes ( even though membrane higher if the waste water doesnt all go out and backs up a bit then a little fine particles could stay in suspension and rise up towards the membrane in theory so ovbiously not ideal) and as i need water asap as water in dt a little cloudy i will just flush it or maybe even change membrane or try remove tubing to membrane aslong as no risk of it dripping on any electronics etc.

Ok thanks all for the replys ^_^ going to get on with it now pfffft and hopefully got enough room to do it and dont have to cut the shelf out under the sink .

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok for anyone else reading this in weeks or years to come,this above is great advice after tracing back all tubing and seeing where flow of water started and ended and re- familiarise myself with the unit as was 5 years ago i installed it and no instructions now.i worked out best to do above advice kstatefan said of removing feed/ inlet tubing to the membrane as it got 1 inlet and 2 outlets from the membrane,one outlet then travels to the di resin and one goes to waste pipe as waste water so as i removed the inlet to the membrane and plugged electrics in and turned cold mains on then the inlet pipe to the membrane now becomes the waste water so water travels through sediment cartridge then carbon block then out the membrane inlet pipe as if left it in it would travelled through the membrane then out the waste outlet off the membrane and any fine particles from the carbon block would of helped to block the pores of the membrane lessining its life so thanks for advice as i may or may not off realised/ worked this crucial part out especially as 8pm and needed change cartridges and flush out plus make 25 litres of 0 tds rodi water plus get some saltwater mixing all night ready for water change tommorrow and as we all know when rushing we miss things out etc.

For anyone looking for advice like i was earlier.here a run down step by step of exactly what i did.now some steps may not need as long but i rather do something longer than not enough

1.removed sediment and carbon block canisters.
2.removed sediment and carbon cartridges.
3.cleaned/ rinsed both canisters out.
4.rinsed carbon block out under tap.
5.installed new carbon block and sediment filters.
6.applied more silicone grease to the o rings on cartridges and made sure no bits off grit on threads or o rings etc.
7.opened flush valve.
8.removed ro tubing to membrane inlet.
9.plugged in electrics,and turned water mains on to unit.
10.tied on ro membrane inlet tubing to 25 litre bucket and ran unit just through new sediment and carbon cartridges till full bucket full ( maybe could done less )
11.turned off water mains and electrics and reinstalled ro tubing to membrane inlet.
12.ran unit through sediment/carbon block and membrane on flush mode incase anything on outer membrane for 5 minutes.
13.then switched valve so now going through di resin also and ran for another 5 minutes and made sure tds remaining 0 tds.
14.now making up 25 litres 0 tds rodi water before go sleep ( hopefully without falling asleep and flooding my kitchen and neighbour downstairs as live in 2nd floor flat lol.

Picture off the canister after took old carbon block out.was full lots black particles and as carbon block removes the chlorine it an important part of the unit .

Attachments

• 20210805_203659.jpg
    20210805_203659.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a unrelated to changing filters.
Anyone else noticed the later in the day/ night the less tds we get ? Or is it just me idk.
Its now nearly 11 pm and my starting tds is 87 and if make rodi through the day and upto about 7pm i think it is then it around 110-120 so like 1/ 3 less tds.
I think im quite lucky where i live getting cleaner water as i see some on r2r saying there tds like 300- 400 tds,well not cleaner but less solids in the water kind off thing so my rodi unit maybe not have to work as hard?

Attachments

• 20210805_223941.jpg
    20210805_223941.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210805_223946.jpg
    20210805_223946.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big difference in tds between us then.maybe mine gets lower the later in day it becomes as less usage and got more chance for the minerals to settle in mains pipework but just a guess but doesnt matter either way.aslong as end product 0 tds matters and thanks once again for mentioning remove inlet to membrane pipe as i could over looked that and could have just needed the membrane to get clogged up and not get 0 tds and i still be trying to sort problem now lol

Back