Advice on getting a 310g tank down stairwell

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of many posts for me I’m sure. Does anybody have any recommendations on the best and safest way to get a 96”L x 30”W x 25”H 310g tank down a stairwell into a basement? The doorframe at the top of the stairs is 28.5” wide so I know the tank will have to be brought down on its side to fit through the doorframe. It’s a brand new 310g planet aquarium that I just ordered from my LFS last Monday.
I’m open to any and all recommendations as I can not risk damaging this tank or destroying my back lol

120FA5AC-50C0-4D1F-BC3D-ED0C7530FA71.jpeg 2B325B54-6155-4FFD-A103-62BC832DD7AA.jpeg

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a piano skid. Moved many pianos and large fish tanks with these when I was a young buck. The tank is padded and strapped to the skid, then it just slides where ever you want by pulling on the straps that are attached to each end. I think we shocked a few people by how fast a thousand pound item can be whisked away. That straight stairwell would be a breeze for a couple experienced movers. The skids we used had E-track connectors built into the side to connect standard big rig cargo straps but otherwise looked the same as this image.
piano-skid-scaled.jpg

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rail off and I would lay long 2x4s on the stairs. Get the tank tipped on its side lay towels on the boards and slowly slide it down with 2ppl at the top with straps and a few on bottom letting it slide down slowly. Or like above strap smaller ones onto the bottom and slide it just the same.

I did this exact thing to get my current tank out of a basement with stairs just like yours, not the smaller but long boards. Mine is 250.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like both of those ideas, I’m definitely going to probably do some kind of a combination of both of your guys ideas. I’ll buy some long towing straps that I can wrap around the tank and maybe try to build a sled out of 2x4’s and pad them to protect the glass I’m thinking.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank dimensions. Go slowly through your journey and enjoy each stage of the process. ;Happy
I’m definitely excited to get the tank. Should be here in 2-3 weeks I was told. It’ll be a slow process. I’ve only bought the tank and IceCap 48XL sump and a pair of 65 gallon vertical water storage containers so far for mixing station. I’ll be buying one or two pieces of equipment for the build every few weeks as the funds allow. Once the tank and sump get here I’ll be getting to work on building my stands for them. I’m going to build the DT stand out of 2x6’s and 4x4’s. The sump will be located in laundry/storage room right behind where I’m setting the DT up. I’m hoping to have it all finished and begin cycling by thanksgiving is my hope

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the width of the stairwell? I image you could just take that railing down and the door frame off.

If you go the route of putting the tank on it's side, definitely contact the manufacturer to make sure it will be structurally sound to do so and not compromise the structure of the tank itself. Most glass tanks are built where all the vertical sides are taking all the pressure and actually surround the bottom panel. Putting a tank on it's side may put more pressure than you realize on 1/2" of glass (you'll have the weight of the side panels and the other long side all pushing down on the outer 1/2" of the side on the bottom, plus any pressure from people putting their hands on the tank). Just something to think about.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the width of the stairwell? I image you could just take that railing down and the door frame off.

If you go the route of putting the tank on it's side, definitely contact the manufacturer to make sure it will be structurally sound to do so and not compromise the structure of the tank itself. Most glass tanks are built where all the vertical sides are taking all the pressure and actually surround the bottom panel. Putting a tank on it's side may put more pressure than you realize on 1/2" of glass (you'll have the weight of the side panels and the other long side all pushing down on the outer 1/2" of the side on the bottom, plus any pressure from people putting their hands on the tank). Just something to think about.
The stairwell itself is 34”. The doorframe opening is 28.5”. I’ve been concerned about that. That was one of my biggest concerns, the owner of my LFS who is a Red Sea vendor and also goes through planet aquariums for any large tank builds told me that it shouldn’t be a problem putting it on its side to go down the steps. So no I didn’t specifically ask Planet Aquariums on the subject and just have kind of taken his word for it. Makes me wonder if I should get word from Planet Aquariums whether or not it will be okay. I know they offer a 30 day warranty on their tanks, exactly what that covers I don’t know.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought of doing something similar for a smaller tank. Didn't know those sleds existed. Was thinking of laying some 2x4s down or plywood and if I couldn't get any help was close to attaching a winch to a stud at the top and just lowering it down the stairs. Then I realized a 90 was nothing and me and a friend just carried it down :)

Taking a door frame off isn't that hard. Just remove all the trim and see if you can figure out where the jamb was screwed in. More work, but I'd definitely try to do that vs taking a tank down on its side.

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to find some good quality ones.
A2FA26F4-E65D-4909-B4BC-DAA4F75A5286.png

I bought 4 of these to lift my 235g peninsula from the floor on to it’s stand. Priceless for risking the loss of a brand new tank! They’re super strong and don’t lose their hold.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stairwell itself is 34”. The doorframe opening is 28.5”. I’ve been concerned about that. That was one of my biggest concerns, the owner of my LFS who is a Red Sea vendor and also goes through planet aquariums for any large tank builds told me that it shouldn’t be a problem putting it on its side to go down the steps. So no I didn’t specifically ask Planet Aquariums on the subject and just have kind of taken his word for it. Makes me wonder if I should get word from Planet Aquariums whether or not it will be okay. I know they offer a 30 day warranty on their tanks, exactly what that covers I don’t know.
I would call planet and just verify that it's ok to do. I'm not saying that it would break or anything, but they aren't designed to have weight on those edges.

Can you take the door frame out if needed?

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CincyReefer07

I too live in Cincy.

Looks like a Planet Aquarium bought thru Aquarium Artisans, right?

Jemery and his crew won't do it for you?

Yup it’s a Planet Aquarium. I bought it through Discover Aquatics. They never made any mention of them helping get it in. Although I also didn’t ask. I just paid the extra shipping cost to have it delivered straight to my house instead of to their shop.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call planet and just verify that it's ok to do. I'm not saying that it would break or anything, but they aren't designed to have weight on those edges.

Can you take the door frame out if needed?
I potentially could, I’d honestly rather do that, I’m just concerned of what kind of rabbit hole I’ll find myself going down if I remove the door frame, as far as how much extra work that’s going to put on me to either put the wood frame back or have to put a new frame on it. It’s a sliding barn door that’s at the top of those steps. So there is no longer an actual swinging door attached to that frame. So technically I could just do away with that door frame altogether, but then I’d be looking at drywall work making it look nice again once finished. But it is a potential option

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there enough room at the top landing and bottom landing to maneuver the tank long wise or will it have be in a vertical orientation?
Yes length wise (8’) I have enough room upstairs and downstairs to bring it straight in towards top of the stairs and bring it down to the bottom

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the door frame off. You'll have peace of mind knowing you didn't potentially damage your tank by putting it on it's side. You said it's a barn door style? If so, that's even easier. The frame doesn't have to be plumb and square for hinges when you put it back on.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back