advice on hair algae and copepods

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i have a question i have a hair algae issue which i let get out of control as i my 13 year girl old fell apart, all part of being on the spectrum, ADHD, anxiety, depression and her mask that looked like she was doing ok, until she couldnt anymore, anyway dealing with hair algae issues now, water changes, reducing nitrates, phosphates etc, surprisingly all fish and coral seem to be coping with my lack of attention, but have hair algae.

my question is, if i scrub the rockwork to remove the hair algae in tank water am i going to lose a large part of my coppods, amphipods, i have a mandarin who has been fed well, dont want that to change, and another fact was i had a 4 foot tank and due to lack of time for water mixing etc with my girls issues i decided to shift into the 27 gallon tank, picked my best rocks for pods used the sand and water, large tank was 18 months in, so filter media, rocks, sand bed etc prob had a nice colony that transfered over, mandarin does take frozen copepods, lobster eggs and brine shrimp and blood worms, which helps, but i see him constantly picking his way over the rocks etc too.
so will scrubbing the rockworks hair algae in tank water kill too many copepods do you think, thought about doing half and then wait a week or two and doing the rest, all while i get nitrates etc where they should be again.
thanks
kim

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbing the rocks, waste of time bc gha fibers run deeper into the LR pores than any wire brush can reach.. it'll just grow back

The only way to control gha is to do something to starve it. Smthg to consume the no3/po4 before the the gha can feast on it.

I have 0 nuisance algae in my tank bc I brew my own Tetraselmis phytoplankton. Search my past posts bc I go in depth on my processes

You also have algae scrubbers, chaeto, macro algae, carbon dosing, nopox, vibrant, Dr Tim's....blah blah blah.... ive tried them all ....but by a mile, dosing tetraselmis phytoplankton has been the #1 solution for me.

Tet_Micro_2ddec205-5325-4510-8a50-f84f29a73182_480x480.jpg

These little phyto guys are hungry and eat up most of the no3/po4 before any other form of nuisance algae can even think about eating.

These dudes are exactly like Pac-Man eating no3/po4.

Chomping Pac Man GIF

Gha STARVES to death bc phyto outcompetes it. Gha DIES OFF.

I've been dosing tetraselmis phyto for 2 yrs now... and I feed the fish heavy 3 times a day.

Non-issue bc my phyto I dose late at night balances my tank.

I swear by it.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raideress

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbing the rocks, waste of time bc gha fibers run deeper into the LR pores than any wire brush can reach.. it'll just grow back

The only way to control gha is to do something to starve it. Smthg to consume the no3/po4 before the the gha can feast on it.

I have 0 nuisance algae in my tank bc I brew my own Tetraselmis phytoplankton. Search my past posts bc I go in depth on my processes

You also have algae scrubbers, chaeto, macro algae, carbon dosing, nopox, vibrant, Dr Tim's....blah blah blah.... ive tried them all ....but by a mile, dosing tetraselmis phytoplankton has been the #1 solution for me.

Tet_Micro_2ddec205-5325-4510-8a50-f84f29a73182_480x480.jpg

These little phyto guys are hungry and eat up most of the no3/po4 before any other form of nuisance algae can even think about eating.

These dudes are exactly like Pac-Man eating no3/po4.

Chomping Pac Man GIF

Gha STARVES to death bc phyto outcompetes it. Gha DIES OFF.

I've been dosing tetraselmis phyto for 2 yrs now... and I feed the fish heavy 3 times a day.

Non-issue bc my phyto I dose late at night balances my tank.

I swear by it.....

thanks im quite ill at the moment, so will re read it in a day or two and see if i can get this in australia, sounds good and what you said makes sense with the scrubbing

Back