Advice on "in-wall" aquarium build

ecj16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, hoping to get some advice on properly supporting an aquarium that I would like to install in my basement. Looking for any experience people have with "in-wall" type builds. Previous owners finished a portion of the basement and put in an alcove which currently has two cabinets installed. I'm including pictures here. Last picture is of the unfinished side of the alcove back wall.

I'd like to place the aquarium in this alcove. The other side of the basement is unfinished so there's unlimited room to place the aquarium equipment, access to water, drain, electrical, etc., so it seems ideal. I'm erring on the side of assuming that the cabinets would not be able to support the weight; the display tank would be around 200 gallons, so expecting a total weight of around 2000 lbs. Moreover, the cabinet top is not quite level. It pitches down slightly to the right. Appears to be level front-to-back.

Right now, my thought is to build a rectangular frame that would sit on top of the cabinets but would be screwed into the existing studs. I'd place 2x6s along the back and front and attach them to the studs, and add additional 2x6s running perpendicular to the back wall to form a frame and provide support in the middle. I'd attach a plywood sheet on top of the frame, and place the tank on that. The tank would be the width of the opening (not extend into the "empty" space on the sides).

My thought is that this approach would allow me to properly level the frame, and the frame would direct most of the load onto the wall studs. The cabinets would also support some of the weight. I'm attempting to be as non-destructive as possible.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, or alternate suggestions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Don’t see pics but typically a stand is placed against wall and picture frame built around it.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The force is going to cause your 2x6 studs to fail. They can't just be pinned to the side of the wall studs thats going to be a very weak point. They have to be supported from below the 2x6 frame.

The way I understand it is your 2x6 frame would be floating between the wall studs but sitting on the current cabinets. If thats the case your hardware holding the 2x6 frame to the wall studs will fail and the cabinet will get crushed and you will be cleaning up a big big mess. This photo is an example all that force will sheer the screws/nails/bolts holding your frame to the side walls. Imagine the header for the opening as your frame. you can see when its done properly you have "jack studs" under each side of the header to support and distribute the load down.
images.png

Your best bet is going to be to take down the walls behind the opening remove the cabinets and build your stand flush with the face of the opening.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured 2,000 lbs for my 120 gallon, with Sand Live Rock and Sump. Might want to recalculate your weight.

OP
OP
ecj16

ecj16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your help. The cabinets are installed awkwardly (the alcove is open and fully finished to the left and right of the cabinets). So, the cabinets were installed but the wood top extends past the cabinets to the left and right and just sits on top of open space (I assume). I think taking out the cabinets and installing a dedicated tank cabinet would be the way to go. I'd been hoping not to remove the cabinets because of the custom nature of the wood top, and the fact that they are brand new.

OP
OP
ecj16

ecj16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The force is going to cause your 2x6 studs to fail. They can't just be pinned to the side of the wall studs thats going to be a very weak point. They have to be supported from below the 2x6 frame.

The way I understand it is your 2x6 frame would be floating between the wall studs but sitting on the current cabinets. If thats the case your hardware holding the 2x6 frame to the wall studs will fail and the cabinet will get crushed and you will be cleaning up a big big mess. This photo is an example all that force will sheer the screws/nails/bolts holding your frame to the side walls. Imagine the header for the opening as your frame. you can see when its done properly you have "jack studs" under each side of the header to support and distribute the load down.
images.png

Your best bet is going to be to take down the walls behind the opening remove the cabinets and build your stand flush with the face of the opening.
Thanks for this detailed reply, this makes sense.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone who built the tank in the wall, and had to tear it down and position it so it protruded from the wall. They couldn’t clean all the front glass, and magnets weren’t cutting it.

OP
OP
ecj16

ecj16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone who built the tank in the wall, and had to tear it down and position it so it protruded from the wall. They couldn’t clean all the front glass, and magnets weren’t cutting it.
Yeah, I'm avoiding this situation. Basically, the tank would just be sitting on a stand in alcove. "In-wall" was probably not the right choice of words for what I was considering.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my inwall we just used cement block for the stand very easy at $2 bucks a block its hard to spend more than 100... since you have the whole room you dont need a stand with room under it you just need a platform.

BYU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i basically did this with my tank
i would take out the cabinets and get a steal stand
make sure everything is level then build a cabinet facade
i took out an existing bar
but i am gonna upgrade soon
good luck
super exciting

3AAAD73A-25CD-4F6E-AADE-D0FE169CBDE5.jpeg
FCCA8689-DD0E-408B-B659-B5B0C4D93FEE.jpeg
D80CB651-B141-4A6C-B1BE-420BB39AC597.jpeg
209E791A-BCED-44C0-B039-334244B75C66.jpeg

H2OhWhoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i basically did this with my tank
i would take out the cabinets and get a steal stand
make sure everything is level then build a cabinet facade
i took out an existing bar
but i am gonna upgrade soon
good luck
super exciting

3AAAD73A-25CD-4F6E-AADE-D0FE169CBDE5.jpeg
FCCA8689-DD0E-408B-B659-B5B0C4D93FEE.jpeg
D80CB651-B141-4A6C-B1BE-420BB39AC597.jpeg
209E791A-BCED-44C0-B039-334244B75C66.jpeg
How did you attach the wood cabinets to the steel frame?

BYU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s basically a facade
and it attaches to the 2x4’s
underneath the top doors it’s screwed in to the 2x4 then nailed around the sides

EA7BA4B8-7D7B-4E90-BC9C-7AF1339B26EA.jpeg
FDAFBAA5-470F-4043-A46F-14764AD53D58.jpeg
5D1118FC-48D8-4EB9-AE97-4AD4DA4A7733.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back