Advice on lighting

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to pull the trigger on the IM Fusion Pro AIO Lagoon, and trying to figure out "affordable" lighting options. This will be my first SW tank, so still swimming through information and options.

I will start with live rock and a few fish, but long term looking to add soft and SPS coral. My idea is to go with one AI Hydra 32 to start(maybe mount a bit higher?), and adding a second unit before starting with any corals.

I see recommendations for the Current US Orbit Marine Pro, which would be a cheaper option. But I'm concerned about the ability to support corals down the road.

Any suggestions for lighting this tank? trying to keep it under $400, if possible. Thanks in advance.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do one Radion XR15 for just a little over $400, would give good coverage for that size tank.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to pull the trigger on the IM Fusion Pro AIO Lagoon, and trying to figure out "affordable" lighting options. This will be my first SW tank, so still swimming through information and options.

I will start with live rock and a few fish, but long term looking to add soft and SPS coral. My idea is to go with one AI Hydra 32 to start(maybe mount a bit higher?), and adding a second unit before starting with any corals.

I see recommendations for the Current US Orbit Marine Pro, which would be a cheaper option. But I'm concerned about the ability to support corals down the road.

Any suggestions for lighting this tank? trying to keep it under $400, if possible. Thanks in advance.
Which Lagoon? The 25 or the 50? I have a 50 with one Radion XR15 gen 4 and it’s not enough. It puts out enough light for softies and lps but there’s shadowing. I’ve had to add supplemental lights. Two Hydra 32s would be great on a 50. The Reefbreeders Photon24 V2+ would be another one to look into.
The CurrentUSA lights would be ok since the lagoons are shallow but they’re the kind of thing many people end up replacing fairly quickly. You will find people on this forum who love them though. I think it’s better to get the best lights you can in the beginning that fit your budget. You can always sell and upgrade later but if you can get what you really want now It saves a lot of hassle.

OP
OP
J

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Lagoon? The 25 or the 50? I have a 50 with one Radion XR15 gen 4 and it’s not enough. It puts out enough light for softies and lps but there’s shadowing. I’ve had to add supplemental lights. Two Hydra 32s would be great on a 50. The Reefbreeders Photon24 V2+ would be another one to look into.
The CurrentUSA lights would be ok since the lagoons are shallow but they’re the kind of thing many people end up replacing fairly quickly. You will find people on this forum who love them though. I think it’s better to get the best lights you can in the beginning that fit your budget. You can always sell and upgrade later but if you can get what you really want now It saves a lot of hassle.
The 50. Doing some reading, I’m wondering if two Prime 16s would give better coverage, since the cover roughly 18in each. But not sure if they would give me enough power. The lagoon is more shallow than most, so maybe?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 50. Doing some reading, I’m wondering if two Prime 16s would give better coverage, since the cover roughly 18in each. But not sure if they would give me enough power. The lagoon is more shallow than most, so maybe?
Two primes would be ok but I would check out the Reefbreeders Photon too. That fixture is 24in long and would cover the whole tank. It has kind of a bulky mounting option though so if your using a screen top make sure it can fit or you can make an adjustment to the top. There’s actually quite a few good choices, it just depends on what you want as far as power and aesthetics.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back