Advice on new lighting for 36 gallon bow front.

Centex0789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions of the tank are 30 in L x 15 in w x 21 in H. I am interested in advice on upgrading my aquarium lighting to help promote more growth. I currently am running a current USA marine pro 24” light as well as a coral vue t5 2 bulb light.

I have 4 zoa colonies that have tripled since they were purchased and are healthy but I don’t feel like they are thriving. I also have a Bta that seems to be doing okay but expands really wide. The foot is between my rock towards the bottom of the tank but it extends up to the light and covers my zoas during day time lighting.
I want advice on a good light that will help grow my corals and help my anemone from reaching so much for light. My biggest concern is I placed my aquarium on a tv stand underneath my flatscreen tv. Most of the lighting I see wants the lights 12” above the water and I’m afraid that when setting down watching tv I will be blinded by the leds.
Without building a canopy for the lighting does anyone know of a led fixture that will set closer to the water surface and provide the amount of light needed to grow my corals. Also I know I will need to move my zoas closer to the bottom of the tank with brighter lighting, but I don’t want to move my tank from where it is if I don’t have to.

thank y’all for the advice

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the same kind of control,i.e. sunrise/sunset and 6 channels of color control, you should look at the Reef Breeders Photon V2+. It has legs that allow the height to be adjusted. The fans are temperature controlled and in my house they hardly ever run. Also, you can tip the front of the fixture down a bit lower than the back of the fixture so you don't get any direct light from the leds glaring out at you from under the TV.

They are a sponsor here and have a forum. So you can ask them any questions you might have. I've been using their leds in several versions (upgrades) for years. And for as little as you'll need it, their customer service is great!

Good luck.

OP
OP
C

Centex0789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. I will look into those and I do like the ramping timer from the current USA. Although the light does not have the power I needed. I also like the idea of being able to tilt the front down a little to reduce the glare.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back