Advice on plumbing plans

Pandora_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out the plumbing on a new tank... I will be running 2 return pumps.
Pump #1 - return chamber in sump to uv sterilizer to chiller to DT
Pump #2 - return chamber in sump straight to DT

I want to have a tee somewhere to feed water back into the fuge chamber of the sump so my chaeto will spin.
Should I put a tee in the plumbing for pump #1 or pump #2? Or is either one fine?

TIA

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’d use P2. You don’t have anything else coming off of it. And I wouldn’t want anything messing with my flow of my UV. Once you get it set you’ll just want to leave it, whereas with the fuge flow isn’t as critical

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder about sending the output of your UV directly to your chiller. The UV tends to heat the water and if the chiller is measuring the temp of the water going through it, rather than measuring the water of the tank then I think it would be getting a fairly inaccurate reading and may cause the expensive chiller to run more than necessary.

It also may make setting the temp on the chiller difficult. If, for example, you set it a couple degrees warmer than you want the tank to be to compensate for the warm water coming from the UV, then if you turn off your UV for any reason and don’t have that extra heat there then the chiller will be set to a higher temp than you really want and the tank may overheat.

OP
OP
Pandora_Reef

Pandora_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder about sending the output of your UV directly to your chiller. The UV tends to heat the water and if the chiller is measuring the temp of the water going through it, rather than measuring the water of the tank then I think it would be getting a fairly inaccurate reading and may cause the expensive chiller to run more than necessary.

It also may make setting the temp on the chiller difficult. If, for example, you set it a couple degrees warmer than you want the tank to be to compensate for the warm water coming from the UV, then if you turn off your UV for any reason and don’t have that extra heat there then the chiller will be set to a higher temp than you really want and the tank may overheat.

Ah I see what you mean.
I knew uv increases temperature slightly, but I didn't think that through carefully.
Thanks!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back