Advice? Suggestions?

KassScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Before I glue the rest of this down…. Need opinions. This is my first big tank so I don’t have tried understanding of flow yet and I’m not always an imagine visual kinda gal. So how is flow looking? I have 2 Nero 5a. This is a 120. 22? 23? Ish inches of height to overflow. Tallest point on left is 15” which I could lose an inch or so of that. I’d just lose that little arch. Tallest on R is all the way to the right where the shelf is that will actually sit down on the edge a bit more and stick out further as pictured in #2. Or I have a thinner piece that may actually look more balanced as compared to L side shelf (pictures in (3&4) Enough books and crannies? Swim room? Too much rock? Are front island too much too heavy appearing? Any other suggestions? Looking at mixed reef. Possibly SPS one day but going to take it slow and see how well I manage. haha. I’ll try to add video in comments it was too large

14DAF2E0-22F7-4042-A8DD-F2608C49BA0A.jpeg 9B6F51BD-3FC6-4590-9EC5-5786410DA1FF.jpeg 19FE57CA-B765-45F4-B3B3-9B40BC4105C3.jpeg 506BD7EF-CBEA-42BC-B8FF-3F749B0052E1.jpeg

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, @KassScott and Welcome to R2R!

I don't see any issues with flow, but I would recommend to consider more hiding places for fish and the surfaces (or lack of) you may encounter when placing any corals as your tank matures. The rule of thumb for most aquascapes in mixed is no more than 2/3 and 1/2 with full SPS. I may also suggest your islands of a smaller size and slightly to the center, so that your corners are free for flow around the tank.

I did recall that when building mine, I wasn't able to create any flat spaces to build off of but if you are looking for them, Marcos makes great foundations rocks https://www.marcorocks.com/products/marcorocks-foundation-rock/

It may also help to break up one or two of these rocks into pieces that might help to create more overhangs and coves for fish to hide. Nothing wrong with arches, but maybe suggest one larger one and the others more filled for the fish you add later on. Also, consider if you are are going with a sump or no sump and is the tank going to be with sand or bare bottomed?

OP
OP
KassScott

KassScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, @KassScott and Welcome to R2R!

I don't see any issues with flow, but I would recommend to consider more hiding places for fish and the surfaces (or lack of) you may encounter when placing any corals as your tank matures. The rule of thumb for most aquascapes in mixed is no more than 2/3 and 1/2 with full SPS. I may also suggest your islands of a smaller size and slightly to the center, so that your corners are free for flow around the tank.

I did recall that when building mine, I wasn't able to create any flat spaces to build off of but if you are looking for them, Marcos makes great foundations rocks https://www.marcorocks.com/products/marcorocks-foundation-rock/

It may also help to break up one or two of these rocks into pieces that might help to create more overhangs and coves for fish to hide. Nothing wrong with arches, but maybe suggest one larger one and the others more filled for the fish you add later on. Also, consider if you are are going with a sump or no sump and is the tank going to be with sand or bare bottomed?
Thank you!! Sump and sand bottom. And dang it. I thought I had a lot of cubbies and hidy-holes. You may just can’t see them front when flat view. I tried to upload a video but it wouldn’t take it. Thank you!!

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a bit mirror image with the left and right structures. I think you could benefit by taking the hammer and chisel to a lot of those rocks, particularly the rounded ones. Will be much easier to scape and you'll be able to get a lot more creative with caves, overhangs and coral placement zones suited to light and current.

Have you done any research on scaping using rule of thirds? Using a grid reference really does help with positioning structures and empty space in a way that pleases the eyes.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 81.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back