Advice

DJWright95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm thinking of getting into the live reef hobby. The tank I'm looking at is the Fluval Marine with a coral light that is 32 gallons. Is this a good starter tank, or should I up it to the fluval marine 50 gallon?
Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm thinking of getting into the live reef hobby.
It's a lot more fun than the dead reef hobby!

....or should I up it to the fluval marine 50 gallon?
Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Go with the biggest tank you can afford. Remember, don't just look at tank price when considering affordability. Bigger tanks are more stable, and easier to care for. I'm not familiar with the light you're talking about, so you might want to check it's PAR output to see if it can support the corals you might want to keep.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon, I'm very happy with it, I've never been tempted to go bigger. Bigger tank has a few advantages, but so does smaller tank. Smaller tank has smaller cost (newbies have no idea how much this hobby will cost), less maintenance time and maintenance cost, smaller risk factor, smaller footprint in the home, easier and less maintenance time, less overall effort, less worry, water changes are easier on smaller tanks, and therefore easier and faster to correct problems. I'm just putting it out there cause most folks usually recommend to go as big as possible, so its good to have all the info (peace to the bigger tank people)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s smart to start small 18g difference is no biggie. If the same equipment can be run on both I would recommend the 50g.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9A3470B5-3CFD-496E-8FD2-35295F2CA6EC.jpeg

Back