Advise on placing of LPS corals (next to each other)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread, my hammer is touching my trachy at times but nothing happens. It is right below my some acans to but nothing happens. My other trachy touches a mushroom coral a little but nothing happens. I guess one morning I might wake up and some big fights will have ocurred but so far there is harmony in the neighborhood,

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I have most of my ricordea (lower, right) and mushrooms (center left) positioned on the main rock in the center. To the far lower right you can see my elegance and peach hammer (they're about 4-5" apart). On the lower left you can see one my rose bubbletip anemones, a gree cyphastrea and part of a red challice sticking out. You can also see various zoas scattered separately on different rocks. This isn't necessarily 'expert' advice - just my personal/aesthetic preference (I've tried to leave room for the frags and colonies to grow without conflicting with each other). Sometimes the fish will knock some of the corals I've glued down loose and I'll use that opportunity for reflection when replacing. Apologies for the photo - it was feeding time at the zoo - so I just crabbed a quick snapshot.

IMG_0830.jpg
do mushrooms sting? Do you have to place like species together or can you place any mushrooms close to other types of mushrooms. i have about 10 small babies now! Some yet to be delivered! Do you know if frogspawns do well with hammers or torches?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do mushrooms sting? Do you have to place like species together or can you place any mushrooms close to other types of mushrooms. i have about 10 small babies now! Some yet to be delivered! Do you know if frogspawns do well with hammers or torches?
I don't think so, but I've seen them stung by other corals. I have kept my rhodactis and ricordea separated, yes. I don't know about frogspawn (yet).

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhodactis shrooms are murder biscuits. A buddy dropped a torch on his and it nearly killed the torch. Frogspawns are in the hammer family. Frogspawn/hammer/o to spawn can be together. Torch/cristata can be together. The two families don’t mix well

Edit: Ricordea shrooms don’t hurt anything

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhodactis shrooms are murder biscuits. A buddy dropped a torch on his and it nearly killed the torch. Frogspawns are in the hammer family. Frogspawn/hammer/o to spawn can be together. Torch/cristata can be together. The two families don’t mix well

Edit: Ricordea shrooms don’t hurt anything
I’ve always heard that Fimbriaphyllia and Euphyllia can’t touch, but I’ve never had issues, right now I have a torch touching a frogspawn and a hammer and all three are just fine. So long as you give the actual polyps a little bit of room/make sure the skeletons aren’t touching, they’ll be fine, the tentacles touching shouldn’t be an issue.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just learned the hard way yesterday that torch and hammer don't go well together... my gold hammer accidentally fell close to the hellfire... the hellfire plugged a few tentacles out of the gold hammer... luckily i noticed it early and both recovered and doing fine.

Surprisingly, in different part of the tank my lumi snake skin torch are touching the oz reverse hammer next to it without any issues (so far).

Last edited:
OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just learned the hard way yesterday that torch and hammer don't go well together... my gold hammer accidentally fell close to the hellfire... the hellfire plugged a few tentacles out of the gold hammer... luckily i noticed it early and both recovered and doing fine.

Surprisingly, in different part of the tank my lumi snake skin torch are touching the oz reverse hammer next to it without any issues (so far).
Here are the corals... lumi snake skin torch closeby and touching the oz reverse hammer.
20211123_170330.jpg

Last edited:

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always heard that Fimbriaphyllia and Euphyllia can’t touch, but I’ve never had issues, right now I have a torch touching a frogspawn and a hammer and all three are just fine. So long as you give the actual polyps a little bit of room/make sure the skeletons aren’t touching, they’ll be fine, the tentacles touching shouldn’t be an issue.
It mostly just depends on the individual coral. I have friends who can’t keep theirs close together because they go to war by my torch, cristata, and hammer have never grown sweepers or sent them out. I even saw a post on here where someone’s candy canes were murdering their euphylia with sweepers. Mine don’t even have sweepers lol. But as a general rule hammer family and torch family = nothing good together. Most problems I’ve seen are with octo/frogspawn. They seem to be the most murdery of the bunch

Edit: not sure why but it also seems like the higher the flow level they are in the more likely these corals are to be murder faces. Ime torches with stubby tentacles are usually pretty tame but the longer tentacled ones in high flow tanks like to murder things. I tried this with my cristata and higher flow makes the stubby little tentacles turn into a mini torch.

With hammers a lower flow kinda helps prevent it from forming sweepers in the first place.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a NY Knicks torch that is extremely nasty. It's killed a couple hammers and some zoas (frag rack was too close to the torch). I've also had a Hellfire torch kill a Neon Aussie torch, and a Frogspawn kill some zoas.

I find it's best to just give everything a little more room than you think it needs.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back