Advise on placing of LPS corals (next to each other)

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts,

Taking into consideration the verities of LPS coral species available out there.. I am struggling with the right placements of these corals together or next to each other (given their ability to sting other corals nearby, don't want them to accidentally hurt or kill each other). Wanted to know if there are any guidelines or charts available on the right ways (dos vs don'ts) when placing different types/species of LPS corals close to each other? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and recommendations.

Note: As I am struggling with the placement of softies & SPS too.. will be opening a similar discussions in those discussion forums too.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the coral. My personal preference is to give my goniopora and alveopora a wide berth - the same with my elegance and torches. Hammers I’m not as concerned with, with the emphasis more on aesthetics than anything else.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the coral. My personal preference is to give my goniopora and alveopora a wide berth - the same with my elegance and torches. Hammers I’m not as concerned with, with the emphasis more on aesthetics than anything else.
Thank you very much.. can I take it that your recommendations above are also for placing of the corals from the same species?

In my case, I just started my 5ft tank a few weeks ago and started adding some corals including Hammer, Torch, Frogspawn, Octospawn, Acans, Duncans, Candy Cane, Blastos, Gonios and Scoly... anything I should be careful about for these corals?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much.. can I take it that your recommendations above are also for placing of the corals from the same species?

In my case, I just started my 5ft tank a few weeks ago and started adding some corals including Hammer, Torch, Frogspawn, Octospawn, Acans, Duncans, Candy Cane, Blastos, Gonios and Scoly... anything I should be careful about for these corals?
Here's how I have most of my ricordea (lower, right) and mushrooms (center left) positioned on the main rock in the center. To the far lower right you can see my elegance and peach hammer (they're about 4-5" apart). On the lower left you can see one my rose bubbletip anemones, a gree cyphastrea and part of a red challice sticking out. You can also see various zoas scattered separately on different rocks. This isn't necessarily 'expert' advice - just my personal/aesthetic preference (I've tried to leave room for the frags and colonies to grow without conflicting with each other). Sometimes the fish will knock some of the corals I've glued down loose and I'll use that opportunity for reflection when replacing. Apologies for the photo - it was feeding time at the zoo - so I just crabbed a quick snapshot.

IMG_0830.jpg

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I have most of my ricordea (lower, right) and mushrooms (center left) positioned on the main rock in the center. To the far lower right you can see my elegance and peach hammer (they're about 4-5" apart). On the lower left you can see one my rose bubbletip anemones, a gree cyphastrea and part of a red challice sticking out. You can also see various zoas scattered separately on different rocks. This isn't necessarily 'expert' advice - just my personal/aesthetic preference (I've tried to leave room for the frags and colonies to grow without conflicting with each other). Sometimes the fish will knock some of the corals I've glued down loose and I'll use that opportunity for reflection when replacing. Apologies for the photo - it was feeding time at the zoo - so I just crabbed a quick snapshot.

IMG_0830.jpg
Thanks blaxsun.. i am trying your suggestions.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My hammer and torch don’t bother anything. Both are within reaching distance of my zoas with no adverse effects.

Candy canes don’t have sweepers so if you put them next to something that does they’re gonna lose. same for blastos and acan lords. My acans are peaceful and do fine next to my smaller torch.

I would not put a frog spawn close to anything but another frogspawn or a hammer. They are awful murder biscuits.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer and torch don’t bother anything. Both are within reaching distance of my zoas with no adverse effects.

Candy canes don’t have sweepers so if you put them next to something that does they’re gonna lose. same for blastos and acan lords. My acans are peaceful and do fine next to my smaller torch.

I would not put a frog spawn close to anything but another frogspawn or a hammer. They are awful murder biscuits.
Candy canes do have sweepers about 3 inches long and can pack one heck of a sting they are the same tenticals they use to feed rather then a separate appendage

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I will agree LPS and sps dont seem to bother softys much if at all but LPS and LPS and LPS and sps and sps and sps can be a bad mix and kill eachother quick

Attachments

• 16333603856072910167021514281407.jpg
    16333603856072910167021514281407.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 119

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when I say give each the length of their sweeper I mean candy cane 3 inches Duncan 3 inches frog spawn 6 inches why I don't have one cuz the tenticals from one another can lock and fight and candy canes will win most of the time when this happens if you look at my candy cane you can see some of the tenticals out alittle as it just got feed so it's still closing back up

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when I say give each the length of their sweeper I mean candy cane 3 inches Duncan 3 inches frog spawn 6 inches why I don't have one cuz the tenticals from one another can lock and fight and candy canes will win most of the time when this happens if you look at my candy cane you can see some of the tenticals out alittle as it just got feed so it's still closing back up
Those candy cane tentacles look like feeders TankKeepers. Mine have those and they don’t sting anything that I’ve seen.

Attachments

• IMG_1537.MOV
    15.7 MB

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And ya frog spawns kill just about everything even alot of softys except a candy cane I had one murder a frog spawn over night when they locked tenticals but I had a frog spawn murder a candy cane when the frog spawns tentical locked on a candy canes flesh

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not seen then sting anything else ever only the sweeper tenticals from LPS heck that green one killed the pink one off thought I could get them to intertwine

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.2%
Back