AF Reef salt or Aquarium Systems Reef Crystals? Which to try?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers I'm planning to try one of these salts because of the vitamins and trace elements they contain...right now I'm just trying to get my coralline to grow out over my rockwork and think these vitamins and trace elements may help spur growth. Later I'll have a few corals probably but nothing too hard to take care of. I was thinking my sun corals might benefit to...does anyone have an opinion on either of these salts?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First screenshot is AF the second is Aquarium Systems Reef Crystals
Screenshot_2022-01-20-17-29-54-558_com.shopee.th.jpg Screenshot_2022-01-20-17-28-25-980_com.shopee.th.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, IO regular, or Reef crystals would be my vote ,in that order... :)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the added vitamins and nutrients in the Aquarium Systems Reef Crystals have much of an effect on the coral?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers I'm planning to try one of these salts because of the vitamins and trace elements they contain...right now I'm just trying to get my coralline to grow out over my rockwork and think these vitamins and trace elements may help spur growth. Later I'll have a few corals probably but nothing too hard to take care of. I was thinking my sun corals might benefit to...does anyone have an opinion on either of these salts?
Hi, I have been using AF reef salt for a while now one I like it. Mixes well and has elevated calcium and magnesium.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been using AF reef salt for a while now one I like it. Mixes well and has elevated calcium and magnesium.
Yeah, I heard it has really high magnesium levels ( that shouldn't be an issue, should it?) It's the vitamins and additional trace elements added that got me interested...have you noticed any improvements? Or do your corals respond better to it?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I heard it has really high magnesium levels ( that shouldn't be an issue, should it?) It's the vitamins and additional trace elements added that got me interested...have you noticed any improvements? Or do your corals respond better to it?
It’s hard to tell as I also dose AF component 1+2+3+. I feel AF makes some quality products and their synthetic salt would be on par with other high level salts. Imo 1350-1400 is a great place for mag to be.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell as I also dose AF component 1+2+3+. I feel AF makes some quality products and their synthetic salt would be on par with other high level salts. Imo 1350-1400 is a great place for mag to be.
I've heard some batches had magnesium levels of like 1600...if that's true could it hurt anything?

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are still able to buy AF reef salts? lucky, its not available in USA...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have a reason to think vitamins in the water is desirable? IMO, it is just a marketing thing.

I prefer normal IO specifically because it does not contain organics matter such as vitamins.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the added vitamins and nutrients in the Aquarium Systems Reef Crystals have much of an effect on the coral?

As far as I know, there is no evidence that vitamins in a salt mix are useful, and there are drawbacks, such as unstable water if bacteria consume them.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back