Afraid of parasite infection in humans

nox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am worried I might been infected with a parasite from the tank, I am going to the doctor tomorrow I have constant pain like it was a flu specially in joints and stomach.
I wonder if my tank might have too many critters.
is it normal that after a feeding if I place the plastic cage for nori in a water bleach solution allot of worms and critter flows out.
seems like these are suspended in the water and not limited to the live rock. I am worried I got infected a few months back when I cleaned the tank but got exposed over my arm and it got red for a while. If I take a drop even from the surface there are tons of worms
I feel like I can’t get this tank clean no matter what I do

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worms, you likely have allergic rash and irritation

nobody catches worms or parasites from a reef tank but dangerous bacteria are there. Likely skin irritation and rash

the microscopic organisms aren’t a risk they don’t host in humans it’s the bacteria and palythoa juice people mind.

OP
OP
N

nox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worms, you likely have allergic rash and irritation

nobody catches worms or parasites from a reef tank but dangerous bacteria are there. Likely skin irritation and rash
I really hope so. It’s very scary my body aches for weeks now, I can barely sit and lean my arm. My fingers and toes and knees hurt along with upset stomach and pain in different places.
the doctors will run test tomorrow.

i did not think much of the rash in the beginning cause I am used to excema.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my Knee replaced, the Dr. was a bit concerned, when he found out I kept aquariums. When I told him they were all saltwater, that concern went away. Just told me to take the two antibiotic pills if I get a serious cut. Same as if I get a cut from anything else. Go to the Dentist, Etc. so I think the risk is low.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my Knee replaced, the Dr. was a bit concerned, when he found out I kept aquariums. When I told him they were all saltwater, that concern went away. Just told me to take the two antibiotic pills if I get a serious cut. Same as if I get a cut from anything else. Go to the Dentist, Etc.
Ok wow hope so. I do find some doctors are really not knowledgeable about saltwater. Like one doctor told me don’t worry it’s Swedish water there is no parasites there. I said no I have live rock with literally hundreds of species of small life and micro organisms.

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got rid oh palys maybe they got you? Did you drop any on the ground or any rock sitting out? Bring a print out of palyotoxin poisoning

OP
OP
N

nox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got rid oh palys maybe they got you? Did you drop any on the ground or any rock sitting out? Bring a print out of palyotoxin poisoning
I don’t think so, I was pretty quick but it’s possible.
my symptoms are upset stomach, chronic pain in muscles joints ahd nerves. I can’t apply pressure on any part of body cause then pain get really unbearable I now have to take naproxen to keep enduring until tomorrow

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paly poisoning symptoms. I doubt it is this. How did you get rid of the PALY

• Flu-like symptoms such as coughing, fever, chills, sore throat, headache, muscle aches, chest pain, respiratory distress.
  • Skin symptoms: rash (hives), itching, numbness, dermatitis.
  • Respiratory symptoms: wheezing, tight chest, shortness of breath, runny nose, fluid in the lungs.
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms: abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea.
  • Ocular symptoms, conjunctivitis, photophobia, blurred vision, corneal ulceration.
  • Neurological symptoms: fatigue, dizziness, speech disturbance, bitter metallic taste, tremors, tingling or numbness of extremities.
  • Muscle symptoms: pain, weakness, cramps, spasms.
  • Cardiac effects: irregular, slow, fast hear rate, cardiac muscle damage, low or high blood pressure

OP
OP
N

nox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paly poisoning symptoms

• Flu-like symptoms such as coughing, fever, chills, sore throat, headache, muscle aches, chest pain, respiratory distress.
  • Skin symptoms: rash (hives), itching, numbness, dermatitis.
  • Respiratory symptoms: wheezing, tight chest, shortness of breath, runny nose, fluid in the lungs.
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms: abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea.
  • Ocular symptoms, conjunctivitis, photophobia, blurred vision, corneal ulceration.
  • Neurological symptoms: fatigue, dizziness, speech disturbance, bitter metallic taste, tremors, tingling or numbness of extremities.
  • Muscle symptoms: pain, weakness, cramps, spasms.
  • Cardiac effects: irregular, slow, fast hear rate, cardiac muscle damage, low or high blood pressure
I do have some of these, I thought first I had covid. Will definitely bring this up to the doctor. Feeling is like how you feel after you got a needle like glue vaccine or blood taken and you are really sore in that area. But this is on many places specially places under stress like armrest or holding my arm to talk in phone or taking a walk etc

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some of these, I thought first I had covid. Will definitely bring this up to the doctor. Feeling is like how you feel after you got a needle like glue vaccine or blood taken and you are really sore in that area. But this is on many places specially places under stress like armrest or holding my arm to talk in phone or taking a walk etc
Not to get you upset but definitely tell him about the paly. Have him look them up and about the side effects if toxins went airborne, before you go into the office. I would call today.
When did you start feeling like this? Toxins work pretty quick, it may not be this.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done a covid test? This sounds exactly how i felt for about 2 weeks worse/better when i was sick.

Worms and the like suspended in the water column are not able to infect and live in your body and blood...... sounds like you have a mature tank with a good population of pods and misc critters.

The palys do scare me aswell! Cover your eyes/mouth when working with/cutting and hands and cuts with handleing water while disturbing them.

OP
OP
N

nox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done a covid test? This sounds exactly how i felt for about 2 weeks worse/better when i was sick.

Worms and the like suspended in the water column are not able to infect and live in your body and blood...... sounds like you have a mature tank with a good population of pods and misc critters.

The palys do scare me aswell! Cover your eyes/mouth when working with/cutting and hands and cuts with handleing water while disturbing them.
Yeah two tests both negative
Yeah been feeling this way for almost 3 weeks now and this week it’s worse than ever

OP
OP
N

nox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to get you upset but definitely tell him about the paly. Have him look them up and about the side effects if toxins went airborne, before you go into the office. I would call today.
When did you start feeling like this? Toxins work pretty quick, it may not be this.
A few weeks now and I’m getting worse by the hour now. I was at the doctor today but they refused to see me cause of double booking. I got so mad they couldn’t even check my values just in case, but gave to wait to tommorow

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Critters that live in saltwater generally don't want to live in your body, so your doctor is right about that. Parasites that people get from water are from drinking freshwater, not from putting their arm in a reef tank. It's normal and good for a reef tank to have loads of critters, and none of the critters that are interested in nori are also interested in you.

It sounds like your skin was irritated by something when you cleaned the tank, maybe palythoas, which was unrelated to what's happening now. I hope you find out what it is. From your description, I'd take a very wobbly guess at maybe an autoimmune issue, since your joints feel inflamed? That's what the pain is from after you get vaccinated, your immune system freaking out about the vaccine. I am, however, not a doctor, and you shouldn't listen to me about what you might have.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be fixated on the reef tank thing when trying to figure out what's wrong with you. Its probably just a coincidence. Do you know how large this hobby is worldwide and how rare what you're talking about actually is in comparison?

There's very likely something wrong with you that has absolutely nothing to do with your reef tank. Sounds like a blood infection or you're spetic. This happened to my older sister last month. Almost all the symptoms youre describing it was a very serious situation. If you keep deteriorating and you're not exaggerating here. Stop DR. GOOGLING and coming to a reef forum for medical advice and go to the ER!
If you feel as bad as you're saying and you're not exaggerating your decisions in the next few days could be life or death. When my neice found my sister she was in bed and couldn't even get to her phone to call for help. My niece went because she couldn't get in touch with her. The hospital said another day or two and she'd have check out from planet earth. She's 48 years old

Not trying to scare you but medical is no joke. Leave it up to the professionals and not a reef tank forum or Google.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back