After 5 months and 22 days..... the tank is here (but not as ordered).

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow, I do not think they are going to stand around while we remove 30 screws from a crate but it's a nice thought. The other guy on the forum had one show up a day early and they left it in his driveway.
They are required to wait while you inspect it before you sign.
if you sign and there’s a problem, it’s all on you, and they know that so they try and make you be quick.

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must be the most kind person in the world for this. Did the mfg ever say you was getting a discount or anything for all of this? No way in hell I’d be making any attempt to offer them to pick up tank. I’d be using it or selling it!

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here we go!
It's a big improvement from the OG tank. That said, this guy is a slob. Look at all of the extra glue. He polished the edges of the side panels but not the top and bottom, which he had done on the OG tank. I also noted that there are three holes in the coast to coast but two of them are right under the brace - poor planning there. He also can't read a tape measure. The width is 72.25" and the depth is 23.75". The height is correct at 19". 2 out of 3? At least the holes are all the same size this time.
Overall, the color is beautiful. I'm beyond over this. The bottom glop will get covered in sand. The top may just be getting a hood after all - even though that was not my original plan.
So... question for the group. Should I be concerned about those two 4" wide center braces blocking par? With 3/4" acrylic sides and a 1/2" eurobrace all of the way around... are they worth keeping or should I consider removing them?

Attachments

• PXL_20210420_150158384.jpg
    PXL_20210420_150158384.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 131
  • PXL_20210420_150057617.jpg
    PXL_20210420_150057617.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 133
  • PXL_20210420_150228396.jpg
    PXL_20210420_150228396.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 136
  • PXL_20210420_150351424.jpg
    PXL_20210420_150351424.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 125
  • PXL_20210420_150255780.jpg
    PXL_20210420_150255780.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 117
  • PXL_20210420_150118308.jpg
    PXL_20210420_150118308.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20210420_150318504.jpg
    PXL_20210420_150318504.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 118
  • PXL_20210420_150127220.jpg
    PXL_20210420_150127220.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 143

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here we go!
It's a big improvement from the OG tank. That said, this guy is a slob. Look at all of the extra glue. He polished the edges of the side panels but not the top and bottom, which he had done on the OG tank. I also noted that there are three holes in the coast to coast but two of them are right under the brace - poor planning there. He also can't read a tape measure. The width is 72.25" and the depth is 23.75". The height is correct at 19". 2 out of 3? At least the holes are all the same size this time.
Overall, the color is beautiful. I'm beyond over this. The bottom glop will get covered in sand. The top may just be getting a hood after all - even though that was not my original plan.
So... question for the group. Should I be concerned about those two 4" wide center braces blocking par? With 3/4" acrylic sides and a 1/2" eurobrace all of the way around... are they worth keeping or should I consider removing them?

So glad to see you finally got the right tank. What a journey it has been, huh?

I'd personally keep the braces. The tank looks beautiful despite the "craftsmanship" in the application of the silicone. Like you said, bottom will get covered and the others you'll just never notice. Happy to hear it working out. Finally!

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to see you finally got the right tank. What a journey it has been, huh?

I'd personally keep the braces. The tank looks beautiful despite the "craftsmanship" in the application of the silicone. Like you said, bottom will get covered and the others you'll just never notice. Happy to hear it working out. Finally!
I thought it was silicone also. It's not... it's glue. Hard as a rock, rough as sandpaper glue. Which makes sense because silicone won't stick properly to acrylic.
Either way, I'm over it. A month from now, this will be behind me. The tank will be running and I'll be more focused on it's inhabitants than the nightmare that made the tank.
Let this be the cautionary tale to anyone shopping for a custom tank. You get what you pay for. (and if that OG tank is not gone this week, @Twitchy and I may need to make a deal - LOL)

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was silicone also. It's not... it's glue. Hard as a rock, rough as sandpaper glue. Which makes sense because silicone won't stick properly to acrylic.
Either way, I'm over it. A month from now, this will be behind me. The tank will be running and I'll be more focused on it's inhabitants than the nightmare that made the tank.
Let this be the cautionary tale to anyone shopping for a custom tank. You get what you pay for. (and if that OG tank is not gone this week, @Twitchy and I may need to make a deal - LOL)
Good for you! Glad you finally got your tank. Not a great testimonial for the builder, however. He will shortly be out of business unless he gets his act together soon. Amazing looking tank though, despite the few slight imperfections. Enjoy!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NOT pull out the braces. They have very little impact on PAR. Tank looks nice. Holes under the scupper box braces isn't really a big deal - same thing on my aftermarket overflow. Curious how much the overflow adds to the front to back depth of the tank? Looks to be about 5 inches?

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NOT pull out the braces. They have very little impact on PAR. Tank looks nice. Holes under the scupper box braces isn't really a big deal - same thing on my aftermarket overflow. Curious how much the overflow adds to the front to back depth of the tank? Looks to be about 5 inches?
~5" deep x 7" tall x 53.75" long 1" drains and returns
I don't have the energy to cut out those braces. I have 4 A360X fixtures. If I need to turn them up a bit, so be it.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks exactly like my tank. I don’t know what the problem is. Every euro braced tank I’ve had, looks like that.
Yea, the OG tank had them too... it was just one of those things I was wondering about while I had all of that extra time of my hands looking at the tank sitting in my garage. You know how it is... too much time just makes you overthink things.
I'm just moving forward. If I paid 3 grand for this thing, I'd be picked off at how sloppy he was with the glue but I didn't - so it is what it is.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here we go!
Oh heck no.... after all that time and trouble for it to STILL NOT BE RIGHT!!!?
I’d be demanding a full refund and take my business elsewhere. This guy obviously doesn’t care

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh heck no.... after all that time and trouble for it to STILL NOT BE RIGHT!!!?
I’d be demanding a full refund and take my business elsewhere. This guy obviously doesn’t care
I was laying in bed last night trying to figure out how the measurements can be off given he uses a CNC machine. There is no reason that this should be off a millimeter. Oh well... I do not have the stamina to start over.
He reached out today and asked what day he can schedule a pick up.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was laying in bed last night trying to figure out how the measurements can be off given he uses a CNC machine. There is no reason that this should be off a millimeter. Oh well... I do not have the stamina to start over.
He reached out today and asked what day he can schedule a pick up.
Tell him they refused pickup so you gave it away on Nextdoor. ;)

Glad you got a tank! Those middle braces are standard. My builder, whose considered one of the best, put them on mine. I have 3/4 everywhere with a 4” euro brace and a large center brace and there still is a little bow. Lots of pressure on big tanks! They have little effect on par and are nice to set stuff on when working in the tank. :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No intention of minimizing your frustrating experience, but in the interest of offering another data point (with no judgement attached :)). I received my tank on Friday from this same vendor. Approx. 13 weeks and exactly as ordered. Build quality appears to be very good and the seams are mirror clear. I always take the wall thickness recommendation of the builder and then go up one thickness. Top and bottom edges are not polished, but he says this in the FAQ, so it is what I was expecting. It was packed really well for transit. Crate weighed 300 pounds, but the tank only weighs 165 ....

Not_Eeyore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this is your original American Aquariums screw up? They ignored requests for any other pictures and got cagey when I asked why the 1st buyer returned it. Not a class act at all! Acrylic Creations out of the same area is just as bad.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back