After 5 months and 22 days..... the tank is here (but not as ordered).

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing I've done to help with scratches is to replace all my fine sand with caribsea special grade. The fine stuff gets in the water column and actually sticks to the acrylic and you won't notice until the mag starts scratching!
Well dang... you just gave me my first good reason to not order live sand from the new and improved TBS. I've had that on my build list all along but you make a valid point. I have been using fiji pink and do not plan to use it again for the reason you stated. There really isn't a way to quantify the grain size of sand collected 12 miles below the Tampa Bay.
Is Special Grade ok for gobies?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dang... you just gave me my first good reason to not order live sand from the new and improved TBS. I've had that on my build list all along but you make a valid point. I have been using fiji pink and do not plan to use it again for the reason you stated. There really isn't a way to quantify the grain size of sand collected 12 miles below the Tampa Bay.
Is Special Grade ok for gobies?
Yup. Special grade is a-ok for sand sifters.

You could still do a bag of the live sand and put in your sump to get the benefits of the bacteria worms ect. Or even just put a tupperware container in the display. Just spit-balling here. :)

The other benefit of special grade size is you can increase flow a lot without sand storms.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Special grade is a-ok for sand sifters.

You could still do a bag of the live sand and put in your sump to get the benefits of the bacteria worms ect. Or even just put a tupperware container in the display. Just spit-balling here. :)

The other benefit of special grade size is you can increase flow a lot without sand storms.
I'm thinking of killing the refugium section of my sump. The plan has always been to grow macro in the DT, so that should help with nutrient export. My sump is configured with the water running through the socks in the first chamber, then refugium in the second and the last chamber is the skimmer and the return pump together. I would really like the skimmer in it's own chamber - separate from the return pump.
Spitballing... maybe I can put the live sand under the aquascape and surround it wit special grade? hmmmm....

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of killing the refugium section of my sump. The plan has always been to grow macro in the DT, so that should help with nutrient export. My sump is configured with the water running through the socks in the first chamber, then refugium in the second and the last chamber is the skimmer and the return pump together. I would really like the skimmer in it's own chamber - separate from the return pump.
Spitballing... maybe I can put the live sand under the aquascape and surround it wit special grade? hmmmm....
I wouldn't mix the sand. My thought on in the sump was for temporary placement just to seed the special grade. You don't want the fine sand in the display because even all amounts will find their way in to the water column. IME

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mix the sand. My thought on in the sump was for temporary placement just to seed the special grade. You don't want the fine sand in the display because even all amounts will find their way in to the water column. IME
I can seed the special grade with the live rock from the existing tank. Maybe throw in a bottle of Dr. Tims, etc.
It would certainly cost less to get special grade than "live" sand. Gee... maybe I can put that savings towards replacing my sump with Triton Sapphire 34? Then I can sell my old sump with my old tank... or the beast sitting in my garage if the vendor does not pick it back up.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tired Back To School GIF by Originals
So it's been 11 days since my last update from the vendor. Glad I wasn't waiting up. I guess I need to start poking again tomorrow.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tired Back To School GIF by Originals
So it's been 11 days since my last update from the vendor. Glad I wasn't waiting up. I guess I need to start poking again tomorrow.
You should ask whos tank you have and see if you need to help them get it since it's so specialized in thickness!

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They screwed up and you should not suffer because of their screw up. If they won’t get the proper one out to you soon call your credit card company.

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have way more patience than me (admittedly the bar is not high)! This company is not interested in your business. I would give my hard earned money to another deserving company. But, I know it is your decision and I wish you the best in whatever you decide.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1616453647567.png

Poked and answered! Not exactly enlightening but it's something.

On a positive note.... I ordered a Trigger Sapphire 34 last week from AquaCave.com and it arrived today. That puppy was double boxed with Do Not Drop - Glass stickers all over it. If a plastic box can be considered pretty... this is beautiful. Now, I can start my plumbing and mount my UV. I have such an awesome husband. Getting a new sump was on my "nice to have" list and he said to just do it.

I'll just sell my old sump, tank, pump and whatnot to the next reefer starting out. Pass the torch...

Attachments

• PXL_20210322_225558359.jpg
    PXL_20210322_225558359.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 59

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1616453647567.png

Poked and answered! Not exactly enlightening but it's something.

On a positive note.... I ordered a Trigger Sapphire 34 last week from AquaCave.com and it arrived today. That puppy was double boxed with Do Not Drop - Glass stickers all over it. If a plastic box can be considered pretty... this is beautiful. Now, I can start my plumbing and mount my UV. I have such an awesome husband. Getting a new sump was on my "nice to have" list and he said to just do it.

I'll just sell my old sump, tank, pump and whatnot to the next reefer starting out. Pass the torch...
I’m still so curious what you are supposed to do with the old tank?

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bet they want to pick up the old one when they deliver the new one.
Do let them forget your $184 check! ;Greedy

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bet they want to pick up the old one when they deliver the new one.
Do let them forget your $184 check! ;Greedy
I'm happy to crate it back up and get it out of my garage. I kicked the idea around for about a week of wondering if he left it, would I want to set up both tanks but honestly.... that is way more work than I want to deal with. He can pick it up, I can donate or or sell it. Either way ...
See U GIF by swerk

And yes... you can bet that I will be reminding him that my check needs to be attached.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has not been just over a month since the incorrect tank was delivered. I have received zero contact with the builder in 9 days. The last of which saying the replacement was "in production". So... to those who build tanks.... just how long should "production" actually take if done properly??

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has not been just over a month since the incorrect tank was delivered. I have received zero contact with the builder in 9 days. The last of which saying the replacement was "in production". So... to those who build tanks.... just how long should "production" actually take if done properly??
@Lowell Lemon what do you think? I'm pretty sure James made my 300g tank in under a month. 3/4 everywhere eurobraced. External overflow.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lowell Lemon what do you think? I'm pretty sure James made my 300g tank in under a month. 3/4 everywhere eurobraced. External overflow.
No doubt and he did a steller job as well no question! James has a private stash of acrylic I attempt to borrow from his distributor from time to time! Getting harder to get cell cast acrylic these days from my old distribution channels.

Back