After 5 months and 22 days..... the tank is here (but not as ordered).

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CMMorgan first off that‘s a beautiful stand! Wow.

Second, that’s a complete bummer about the tank. Personally, I’d be livid after all you went through — especially if it’s all well documented. I have two thoughts. First, you need to decide if accepting the tank is something you would do at all or whether it would simply be a reminder of the mistake. If you can’t be happy with the tank then what’s the point. Second, I’ll guess that the company will try to make it up to you somehow. They probably don’t want the tank, and I’m guessing they would want you to pay for the return (check their return policy). I get that it’s not what you ordered, but would you be willing to keep it if they offered you $___ in refund.

Just my opinion. Good luck!

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strangest part to me is the acrylic thickness. 1' on the sides and 1/2" with the rest. When you were told 3/4" all around, and 1/2" top and bottom. Very odd.
That was the first thing that I noticed. At first I thought it was just the back, to make it easier to thread returns. Then I noticed the front was thinner also.

Forgive me, as I'm now checking everything.... I just looked at the return holes. I'm using 1" returns - random flow nozzles. The holes are about 1.5". So, ok... I've never plumbed a tank this way before... but the holes in the overflow are drilled about 2.75" for 1" bulkheads. Is this also wrong? ugh

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have to (get to) live with these tanks for a significant part of our lives. The dimensions are wrong and the wall thickness is wrong.
Unless there's a valid reason for the changes, I'd send it back, unless you think you can make it work.
Not and excuse, but acrylic sheets have been scarce due to covid.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max hole size for a 1” is 2.67”. So your measurement of 2.75” is very close when using a basic tape measure
Until I pull all of the wrapping off, I won't know for certain. I think I am more confused by the size of the return holes. The overflow and returns are going to be 1".

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just this week had this same conversation with my LFS who took and placed my custom tank order. The manufacturer has yet to provide me with a certified drawing or guaranteed dimensions on the tank, and it was ordered four months ago with a stated 8-12 week delivery. American manufacturers have quickly grown too accustomed to using Covid, weather and a host of other excuses for poor planning and poor customer service.

If you're in a position to do so, take the time to hold their feet to the fire and make it right. We, the consumer base you represent, appreciate your dedication to the cause.

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having just gone through a newly ordered tank I could personally not be happier but in your shoes I would certainly be ticked off, you spend all that money and wait all that time for just a what? sad trombone.....

Don't jump to conclusions though, they might have sent the wrong tank who knows. 72 wide is still quite a popular size.
Call them on Monday. If it doesn't go well then simply chargeback. That's what it's for.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I pull all of the wrapping off, I won't know for certain. I think I am more confused by the size of the return holes. The overflow and returns are going to be 1".
The extra hole size is for the “body” of the bulkhead to fit in. The 1” plumbing you want is measured on the “inside” of the bulkhead.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my custom acrylic tank on 9/4/2020. Hard to believe that was almost 6 months ago. The vendor is American Aquarium out of Pennsylvania.
I'm in the process of unpacking. I'll post more pics in the build thread. Generally, it looks like it is in one piece thus far. I was surprised (and a little disappointed) that it did not arrive as ordered. Before I take off the shrink wrap, I thought I'd see how the fishy family would feel about this.

The tank was ordered as 3/4" acrylic with 1/2" top and bottom. The dimensions were 72 x 24 x 19. The external overflow was described as 5" deep - so total depth 29". I verified all of these dims before we build the stand and began the skirt. The tank measures 72 1/4" wide x 22 1/2" deep x 19" high. The sides are 1" and the front and back are 1/2" acrylic.

The stand was built 72 x 24. So the tank can't sit flush with the front of the stand or else the pipes coming from the overflow will now hit the back of the stand. It also shifts the weight on the stand if I align it with the back. Am I overthinking that I'm going to have to rebuild now? The skirt is made from custom quarter sawn oak cabinet panels - 30" deep so the tank won't transmit vibration to the wall.

Am I overreacting to be annoyed by this? What was the point of verifying the dimensions if it arrives 1.5" different in one direction? The 1/4" can be split on each side NBD. Just disappointing after this much time. There is one spot that looks like a blemish in a joint. I'll know more after I take the wrap off. Too deflated to do it right now. I really don't want to rebuild that stand or wait 6 more months. To add a little salt to it, they was supposed to be a refund check for $184 taped inside the tank. I guess that is taped in the missing 1.5" section.
disappointed winnie the pooh GIF

PXL_20210226_223803250.jpg PXL_20210226_222418051.jpg PXL_20210226_223733135.jpg PXL_20210226_223817661.jpg PXL_20210226_223750868 (1).jpg
Do you have a spec/build sheet handy that you can post pictures of?

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS order pages to determine what bulk head hole sizes are needed.
Holes will drilled based on using ABS or schedule 80 bulk heads, they're different sizes.

1" ABS Bulkhead Slip X Slip Dimensions (see diagram)
A - 68mm/2.67"
B - 63mm/2.48"
C - 42mm/1.65"
Installation Hole Size - Use our 45mm Diamond Coated Glass Drill Bit for DIY installation

1" SCH 80 SxT Bulkhead Dimensions (see diagram)
A - 65mm/2.55"
B - 73mm/2.87"
C - 48mm/1.88"
Installation Hole Size - Use our 48mm Diamond Coated Glass Drill Bit for DIY installation.

1614388618605.png

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extra hole size is for the “body” of the bulkhead to fit in. The 1” plumbing you want is measured on the “inside” of the bulkhead.
Right... but if the overflow and the returns both have 1" pipe... wouldn't the holes for the overflow and returns be the same size?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is no altering this stand. It took me two weeks to build it. It's glued, screwed, filled and painted. There is even a rubber mat between the frame and the top plywood to allow for wood expansion. (Florida humidity) Even that was glued. The QSO panel for the side is made and it can't be trimmed. So that means the tank will stand proud of the wall by 2.5", even if I rebuild the stand.
Honestly, if the back wasn't the wrong color... I'd probably be finding a way to rationalize this right now. I'm just sooooo ticked that it is black. I really hate black on the back of tanks.
Black back is my favorite. Brings everything forward.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right... but if the overflow and the returns both have 1" pipe... wouldn't the holes for the overflow and returns be the same size?

When you say overflow size, do you mean the actual drain pipe plumbing at the bottom of the overflow? Or the bulkheads for attaching the overflow through the back wall?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
here is the most rational way to handle it:

ticked.gif

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a spec/build sheet handy that you can post pictures of?
He never sent me one... just lots of emails. We reviewed the final over the phone. That said, the dimensions, thickness and color of back are all detailed in the emails.... pages and pages of emails. Thickness and dimensions are also on the Freshbooks invoice.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what bulkheads are being used.
ABS Slip x Thread is different than Thread x Thread is different than Slip x Slip is different than Sch 80...
You get the idea!
Match your bulkhead style to the BRS lookup to verify the hole sizes.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back