After almost two years of stability sudden brown algea bloom everywhere and I can't explain it

OP
OP
M

maxpare79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer to your problem comes out.

Your small little bubble algae problem caused your current problem because you used Vibrant. There are many many many threads on this forum of what you have now being caused by Vibrant. There is a good thread on this forum proving that Vibrant doesn't contain any bacteria. Stop using Vibrant, never use it again. It's going to take awhile to fix what has happened to your tank because of Vibrant. It sucks that you had a smooth running tank and now this. Been there done that because I used Vibrant. I used the rip clean method to reset my tank but it sure took awhile for things to get back to normal. I will never ever ever ever ever use Vibrant again.
Live and learn ....there are so many contradictions online, it's hard to know what's true and what's not

By rip clean what do you mean? Sorry I am French lol

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whether it is Dino or Cyano, either way you need to help your good bacteria, pods, sponges…to repopulate. Here is what I would recommend:

1) stop all carbon dosing

2) elevate nitrate to around 5-10 ppm while Maintaining phosphate at around .03-.08. This is the new go to for a mixed tank with no algae/cyano issues IF the ecosystem is balanced. This alone will not help.

3) vacuum/blow the surfaces to release the surface or the Dino/cyano and at the same time use combination of coral snow and MB7 or any other bacteria mix(not nitrifying bacteria). What you are doing here is putting a layer of good bacteria to get hold of the surfaces. 1ml MB7 per 10 gallon of water and 1 ml coral snow per 25 gallon of water. It’s good to blow the surface right before light is going down and to dose MB7/coral snow right after the goes out. Last thing on this. Dose the combo one of twice a week. MB7 should be added daily during this period. It’s possible that you might have to dose nitrate and phosphate to not negatively impact your corals. Follow number 2.

4) Use A good UV to kill any floating bacteria in the water column

5) for first few days use a 10 micron filter sock, especially while blowing the rocks/vacuuming the sand, you can vacuum directly in the sock…

6) feed some photo/zoo plankton combo to increase the pod population

7) patience. Nothing happens fast in this hobby

i have used to this to tame even the worst Dino/cyano in 7 days. It takes a month to fully go away.

let me know if you have any questions. Seems like a lot of steps but some of them are just good practice for healthy corals. Side effect of all of this - you will have a clean water column that you have never seen before :)

Sam

Last edited:

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live and learn ....there are so many contradictions online, it's hard to know what's true and what's not

By rip clean what do you mean? Sorry I am French lol
Exactly. I used Vibrant(because of what I read on the internet) and paid one *&^% of a price for having done so. Read that as lots of money in stuff that died but it didn't affect my GHA, that lived. Reading the thread here on the forum about what's really in Vibrant it appears it takes quite awhile to be removed from your aquarium after you quit using it which explains why stuff keeps dying after you've stopped using it. I did a rip clean just because it sound like the only right thing to do at the time, this was before we knew what was really in Vibrant and it worked stuff stopped dying. Again not the GHA that took time[2 years] for the tank to mature.
You had a great system that was working and Vibrant has completely wrecked it. The problem is there is so much out of whack right now for you(again been there did that) that what was working for you won't right now. A rip clean is like a reset, close to starting over but not all the way. Just use the search function here on the forum, put in rip clean. I wish you luck, thanks to Vibrant your going to need it. Remember everybody here is pulling for, and nothing good happen quick in a reef tank.

OP
OP
M

maxpare79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone suggested I buy a cheap microscope to look at it and post it here (sorry about the delays). This is what it looks like under the microscope, sorry I can't zoom any further. The white dots are probably just sand grain since I took a sample on the sand. Any idea what it actually is?

2022_07_09_15_56_11_565.jpg

OP
OP
M

maxpare79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The microscope needs to show the cells(cellular level) of the specimen. Need to magnify quite a bit more than what you have pictured.
Alright I figured as much, I bought a cheap one on amazon and it's the biggest magnification I could get... I will find another one

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's dinos then his nutrients are too low .
Not necessarily. I have LCA Dinos....and my nutrients are not low. My Nitrates are 13ppm and my phosphate varies between .08-.1. I think Dinos can bloom when there is an imbalance - or a quick change that allows the Dinos to take hold. Totally speculative....but my current Dino bloom occurred shortly after discontinuing NoPox treatment. After reading the other thread (about using carbon dosing to 'treat' Dinos), I'm wondering if I start up the dosing of NoPox again....will it help me clear the Dinos again........Think I might have to try.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My Dinos actually started after I stopped carbon dosing.....boy this hobby can be confusing.

It sure can be! lots of contradictions everywhere you search. Most of these problems are caused by an imbalance. There is microbiome warfare that is happening that we cannot see with our naked eyes which makes things difficult to diagnose. By the time it is visible with our eyes we are in reaction mode.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back