After dinoflagelattes comes the green hair algae - how did you handle this?

Aquanautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hesitant on using all these quick fix solutions seems to cause more problems. I’ve just been letting nature run it’s course and of course I’ve helped by adding Macroalgae to the refugium, phytoplankton and a CUC as well as a fish that is dependent on the algae.

I agree but it seems to be attacking my frag plugs, so I'm getting antsy as I don't like to see expensive frags getting surrounded :oops:

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but it seems to be attacking my frag plugs, so I'm getting antsy as I don't like to see expensive frags getting surrounded :oops:
image.jpg

These guys do a good job keeping the zoa clean.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you decide not to run a skimmer? Do you have a tank thread?
At first I was so bummed with the crash it took a bit for me to recover and clean the skimmer. Took apart and cleaned not just the skim. Then I noticed the tank is rebounding well and have not felt compelled to add the skimmer as of yet.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hesitant on using all these quick fix solutions seems to cause more problems. I’ve just been letting nature run it’s course and of course I’ve helped by adding Macroalgae to the refugium, phytoplankton and a CUC as well as a fish that is dependent on the algae.
Was thinking about adding a fuge back in...but afraid to take nutrients too low with a fuge

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I was so bummed with the crash it took a bit for me to recover and clean the skimmer. Took apart and cleaned not just the skim. Then I noticed the tank is rebounding well and have not felt compelled to add the skimmer as of yet.
Ahh got cha letting the nutrients build up to build up the bacteria is probably best.
Was thinking about adding a fuge back in...but afraid to take nutrients too low with a fuge
I believe ( not sure ) but from what I understand if you control the amount of time you have the fuge lights and skimmer running that should control the nutrient consumption. I also tame my chaeto. Try not to let it get too wild. I’m trying to have mangroves in my 13 gal. Whenever I get to it. Right now have them growing in the fuge.

image.jpg

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem right now, Dino's almost gone boom algae out of nowhere.

I'm doing manual removal now and dosing phyto before I do anything severe. I've been freaking tinkering for over a month now due to the Dino's I just wanna leave the tank be so corals can grow
I know the feeling. Some people like the issues that come up. So do I for a bit. But there is aa point it becomes a bummer when it goes from one to another and cannot simply enjoy a nice looking tank with some growing corals. Got the tank for the latter, not the former

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Dino and beat it by doing a two month blackout, did not have corals yet at the time, and Hydrogen Peroxide treatment on the rocks. I basically had to do a reset on the tank. In the two month blackout I heavily dosed beneficial bacteria.

I just turned the lights back on about a month ago, have added some corals since, and I have just a small amount of GHA but it has not grown or spread. My CUC takes care of that along with a blenny.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Dino and beat it by doing a two month blackout, did not have corals yet at the time, and Hydrogen Peroxide treatment on the rocks. I basically had to do a reset on the tank. In the two month blackout I heavily dosed beneficial bacteria.

I just turned the lights back on about a month ago, have added some corals since, and I have just a small amount of GHA but it has not grown or spread. My CUC takes care of that along with a blenny.
Its good to hear the dinoflagellates have not come back. Building clean up crew slowly, maybe too slow. Having trouble finding trochus snails at LFS. Which bacteria are you dosing?

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reduced my peak lighting period by 2 hours and added more CUC until I reached an equilibrium with the GHA, namely turbo snails, pincushion urchin, long spine urchin, and a Sally Lightfoot crab.

If you've got some really dense patches, carefully apply some boiling RODI water with a turkey baster until it turns bright green and your CUC will immediately devour it. Even my clowns went after it.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reduced my peak lighting period by 2 hours and added more CUC until I reached an equilibrium with the GHA, namely turbo snails, pincushion urchin, long spine urchin, and a Sally Lightfoot crab.
Yeah, I think I need some seriously hungry urchins

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did reduce the lighting, thanks. It's a battle for the ages lol. I think will add a refugium back in.

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its good to hear the dinoflagellates have not come back. Building clean up crew slowly, maybe too slow. Having trouble finding trochus snails at LFS. Which bacteria are you dosing?
I dosed Turbo Start 900 and Dr. Tims. And I dose Turbo Start 900 with one of my 4 water changes I do each month. I also add more Copepods and Baby Brine at that time. And I dose Phyto Feast once a week to feed my inverts, some soft corals, and my Copepod population.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let GHA feed my fish, snails, crabs, abalone...

Unless it’s reaching plague proportions your CUC + fish should be able to keep it in check.

If you dive the reefs you can witness there’s all sorts of algae everywhere. More often than not, trying to fight it can cause more issues than the algae itself.
Im currently going through that but my tank is currently fallow fue to an ich infestation so theres no algae eaters, how do you go about it?

Back