After Months of mind Numbing SPS RTN STN Problems

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I'm not a biologist, but I'd def say yes. In fact I have two acros one Potato chip coral, frogspawn and candy and and that bubble coral sps lps etc etc , in there still and a bunch of other stuff. All but one acro are fine

What element is effecting just these is something I'll be trying to figure out for a long time.

Send a sample to Triton!!!!! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

OP
OP
saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send a sample to Triton!!!!! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
Hahaha.
I have a fairly good idea of what's in the razor blade actually.
And I know what could be in the water already.soni don't need them to tell me that bit .
What I don't know , is what those corals specifically would react to that the the rest of the organisims wouldn't. Copper would kill off my bugs right? I got plenty. Iron in concentration would do....? Etc

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Witnessing the result isn't near as bad once you know what caused it. Finding the dang problem in the first place is the hard part. I wonder what your iron levels are and how long that's been in there.

Along the same line I caught the kids going to town with Lysol air spray where I could smell it on another floor of the house a few weeks ago. After flipping out and the wife looking at me like I have a problem, I let her know she can expect thousands to be instantly removed from our bank account, as I would be replacing everything that died in one sitting. Maybe then the pain could also sink into her head too. Not the first time I've been though that. Wife/glade oil burning plug ins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley wrote an article about iron helping macro algae.
It's the other elements used to make the alloy I belive that can cause the Problembs. It could be (i guess) too high a concentration in that small a vol of water of he iron too I suppose.
Not sure

OP
OP
saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Witnessing the result isn't near as bad once you know what caused it. Finding the dang problem in the first place is the hard part. I wonder what your iron levels are and how long that's been in there.

Along the same line I caught the kids going to town with Lysol air spray where I could smell it on another floor of the house a few weeks ago. After flipping out and the wife looking at me like I have a problem, I let her know she can expect thousands to be instantly removed from our bank account, as I would be replacing everything that died in one sitting. Maybe then the pain could also sink into her head too. Not the first time I've been though that. Wife/glade oil burning plug ins.
Oh ouch.

Yea I'm still kinda testing monitoring. I have a couple other testers in there. I have a very large lfs that may have open tests so I don't have to buy some of them.
Pretty much put the bandaid on and got the patient stable then collapsed myself so I can think a little more clearly this week.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We went through the same thing at almost the same time! I think mine was caused by rust dropped into the sump while I was removing some rusty hose clamps above the water.

Triton test showed high tin and low potassium.

OP
OP
saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here we go. Updates.
The Icp test is here Thank you @MarineDepot !
IMG_0614.JPG

So far I've done close to a 100% wc in the system. I've been running a reactor with Gac and GFO in this bad mama Jamma Schwag I go the hookup from the SCMAS Reefapalooza. I've added one table spoon of both Chem media each week. The reactor is powered by a cobalt mj1200 and some lock line I've horded
IMG_0459.JPG

I'm pulling the sample before the wc and we'll see how that goes.

I've noted no further tissue recession in any coral, the green stylo is actually growing back in spots and naturally, on a couple of accidental frags on the sand bed. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pretty bummed about losing the colony mainly becuse that's where the two trapezia live.
The haven't abandoned the colony thankfull but I don't think they like the new decor. Looks like they are out shopping.
IMG_0509.JPG

Yea. Large homeless crab wandering the tank for weeks. That's Cha Cha CHa btw. My male.

I don't have Anothe colony suitable for them kinda. They like to be able to hide in the branches. But I do have this. (One of my favorites btw)

IMG_0499.JPG

I Broke a couple large branches and set them back on to make it thicker and provide some cover.
Yes. I'm using the bonsai method on a Coral.

I'll be putting a tester piece of it in the tank today after the wc.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.....I am a twisted individual. I Just couldn't help it.
I've never lost a large colony , and I couldn't leave the crabs homeless.

So I've been observing the decay. :eek:

It lost the polyps. Went white. Ok nbd. But after several weeks , it began to to do this. As if deeper in skeleton something took time to decay or dissolve. I had assumed all the soft flesh would have dissolved anger a week or two. I'm kids guessing maybe this is the softer minerals dissolving from the skeleton and feeding whatever the heck this is.

Warning graphic imagery.
IMG_0611.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks

Salty,
Late to the game but... I'm sorry about your corals.
We've all been there one way or the other and hope you get it resolved, soon.

Freddie

OP
OP
saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks

Salty,
Late to the game but... I'm sorry about your corals.
We've all been there one way or the other and hope you get it resolved, soon.

Freddie
Hey Freddie!! No sweat man and thanks. It just a learning curve man. If nothing ever happen we'd never know anything.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.....I am a twisted individual. I Just couldn't help it.
I've never lost a large colony , and I couldn't leave the crabs homeless.

So I've been observing the decay. :eek:

It lost the polyps. Went white. Ok nbd. But after several weeks , it began to to do this. As if deeper in skeleton something took time to decay or dissolve. I had assumed all the soft flesh would have dissolved anger a week or two. I'm kids guessing maybe this is the softer minerals dissolving from the skeleton and feeding whatever the heck this is.

Warning graphic imagery.
IMG_0611.JPG
Reminds me of the chasing coral documentary :oops:. Good work finding the blade! That could've been a reason to tear down the tank if you hadn't.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man! Dude, why have I not seen this thread before?! What a bummer! :( Was this all caused by a domino effect of the utility knife blade?

OP
OP
saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man! Dude, why have I not seen this thread before?! What a bummer! :( Was this all caused by a domino effect of the utility knife blade?
In belive so. There were a couple of other things going on (new light even with 50% reduction in overall intensity. But it was a cronic thing already.
Wc wc fine over time stn began , wc wc fine. STN rinse repeat.

So I'm guessing slow build up/ dilution. What caused a sudden release from the blade that would cause a huge event like this is still a question. Ie what tipped the the domino.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back