AFTER SALE 30% OFF | ARC 16YR ANNIVERSARY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BaseballRuyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever friends talk about how challenging a marriage can be sometimes, it reminds me of the scene between Kurt Russell and Samuel Jackson at the beginning of Hateful 8 where Jackson's character is asking Russell's character why he insists on keeping his bounties alive to hang. It would be much easier to kill them and bring the bodies in to collect the bounty on the outlaws. Kurt says "no one said this job was easy," to which Jackson's character responds "yeah but no one said it had to be this hard." My point being is that you should divorce your wife and buy more corals. I think that was the message of the scene, right?!
Thanks Cody. I got a hold of a lawyer to prepare. Now just to figure out the child custody. I appreciate the advice. I'm finally free

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks Cody. I got a hold of a lawyer to prepare. Now just to figure out the child custody. I appreciate the advice. I'm finally free
And that kind of solid advice comes complementary when you're rolling with me! Stick around. One day when you grow up, you can be just like me!

guy.gif

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
But to also chime in on what @BluTang85 said, whenever I talk to local reefers here in Houston and they're struggling to be successful with corals, the first thing I ask about are nutrients. 95%+ of their carbohydrates, amino acids, proteins, etc that they use to grow are produced via photosynthesis, and IMO are the two most important parameters in your tank. Of course, there are many caveats to that last statement, but I feel like having an improper supply of nitrogen and phosphorus are the most common causes of corals dying/not thriving. Once you get those dialed in, then you can focus on other aspects, but until those are solid, you won't be successful.

reefrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But to also chime in on what @BluTang85 said, whenever I talk to local reefers here in Houston and they're struggling to be successful with corals, the first thing I ask about are nutrients. 95%+ of their carbohydrates, amino acids, proteins, etc that they use to grow are produced via photosynthesis, and IMO are the two most important parameters in your tank. Of course, there are many caveats to that last statement, but I feel like having an improper supply of nitrogen and phosphorus are the most common causes of corals dying/not thriving. Once you get those dialed in, then you can focus on other aspects, but until those are solid, you won't be successful.
The funny thing is I remember when people used to say you couldn’t keep sps alive if you had any detectable nutrients

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The funny thing is I remember when people used to say you couldn’t keep sps alive if you had any detectable nutrients
Yeah that’s how it was about 15 years ago when I got in the hobby too. It was a peeing contest to see who could get them the lowest, when the reality was probably that poor quality test kits tricked people into thinking they were at zero, despite their best efforts. I wonder what common practice today will be seen as the wrong way to do it in the future?

My personal guess would be the concept of “full spectrum” lights. I’m no scientist, but I can clearly see that these corals have spent millions of years evolving in an environment that’s mostly devoid of anything but blue. Plus, you add in the fact that corals produce basically all their food via photosynthesis, chlorophyll only uses the blue and red spectrum, and chlorophyll uses blue light in greater quantity and efficiency, and well, it just seems that blue light is really doing 95%+ of the heavy lifting.

I found this video demonstration of how quickly the ocean filters out most of the spectrum pretty interesting. Keep in mind, the average depth of the Great Barrier Reef is 115ft.

reefrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s how it was about 15 years ago when I got in the hobby too. It was a peeing contest to see who could get them the lowest, when the reality was probably that poor quality test kits tricked people into thinking they were at zero, despite their best efforts. I wonder what common practice today will be seen as the wrong way to do it in the future?

My personal guess would be the concept of “full spectrum” lights. I’m no scientist, but I can clearly see that these corals have spent millions of years evolving in an environment that’s mostly devoid of anything but blue. Plus, you add in the fact that corals produce basically all their food via photosynthesis, chlorophyll only uses the blue and red spectrum, and chlorophyll uses blue light in greater quantity and efficiency, and well, it just seems that blue light is really doing 95%+ of the heavy lifting.

I found this video demonstration of how quickly the ocean filters out most of the spectrum pretty interesting. Keep in mind, the average depth of the Great Barrier Reef is 115ft.

Right?! I can see how the nutrients impact color in my sps.. but back in the day with just T5 and halides it wouldn’t have been so obvious.. or maybe when just the actinics were on lol

For fun, here’s my 65 gallon tank circa 2009
31BDB22B-338A-45E0-9EAC-8E54B57FCD7F.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had phosphates high and low. Same result. It's crazy. I had a beautiful pink goni sit in by big tank all closed. Moved it to my nano and it opened beautifully. Then one day it closed up again. Never to open again. It's frustrating. And the worst part is that every time a coral dies my wife has one more excuse to tell me no more. But she can still go to target daily.
Gonis need iodine and manganese too. Have you sent in an ICP or anything? Try adding iodide (safer than iodine). Manganese is good for sticks too, but I believe it you overdose manganese it causes RTN. Manganese and iron I believe. Also, iron helps with acro coloration. Too much causes color shifting more towards green though.

My magnetic scraper rusted in my old tank - Gonis went CRAZY and everything else died. Probably the iron. I was also adding iodine every couple of weeks - nowhere near the recommended levels.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry, that was kind of spastic sounding after rereading it.

Gonis need some phosphates and nitrates, they need alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium as well.

However, for optimum health I've found they need some manganese, iron, and iodine.

Iodide is the safest form of iodine to dose.

Trace minerals is the best way to get your manganese and iron but some people dose actual manganese (which typically has iron).

Also, amino acids are a great thing to add for Gonis. I used Brightwell Aminos with really good response and results. I found that it does a better job than the Brightwell AminOmega.

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry, that was kind of spastic sounding after rereading it.

Gonis need some phosphates and nitrates, they need alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium as well.

However, for optimum health I've found they need some manganese, iron, and iodine.

Iodide is the safest form of iodine to dose.

Trace minerals is the best way to get your manganese and iron but some people dose actual manganese (which typically has iron).

Also, amino acids are a great thing to add for Gonis. I used Brightwell Aminos with really good response and results. I found that it does a better job than the Brightwell AminOmega.
Yeah but with regular water changes, you should have adequate levels of all of these minor trace elements. I’ve had automatic daily water changes in place for the last seven years and have used a lot of ICP tests from all the brands. I’ve been pretty much spot on with all of them with every test over that time. Mind you, I also use a calcium reactor so I don’t know how much that adds into the mix, but between the two, I’ve never needed to dose anything other than nitrates.

Last edited:

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Right?! I can see how the nutrients impact color in my sps.. but back in the day with just T5 and halides it wouldn’t have been so obvious.. or maybe when just the actinics were on lol

For fun, here’s my 65 gallon tank circa 2009
31BDB22B-338A-45E0-9EAC-8E54B57FCD7F.jpeg
Of course it does. The higher density of healthy Zooxanthelle the brighter/more pronounced the colors will be. With appropriate levels of ingredients to make food, then denser/healthier they will be.

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah but with regular water changes, you should have adequate levels of all of these minor trace elements. I’ve had automatic daily water changes in place for the last seven years and have used a lot of ICP tests from all the brands. I’ve been pretty much spot on with all of them with every test over that time. Mind you, I also use a calcium reactor so I don’t know how much that adds into the mix, but between the two, I’ve never needed to dose anything other than nitrates.
@tbrown3589 does it show that this post has been edited by me? It would show up on the bottom of my text if it did.

A Reef Creation

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first round of shipping went out today. If you selected March 29th as your delivery day, expect the box to arrive tomorrow. There was a slight hiccup with the first couple boxes we sold that said Wednesday March 28th but it was corrected right away but still caused a little confusion today.
If you are receiving sps corals, please be cautious with corals dips. Some dips like CoralRx and Revive can be a little ruff on some sps, especially smooth skinned Acros. We like to use Bayer when at all possible. A few of the door busters were growing onto the eggcrate racks and had to be broken free so the edges of some may look a little ruff. In the event you receive a DOA coral, please send us an email with a photo right away to [email protected]
If your looking for local pickup, we ask that you come after 5PM as we have about 30 boxes to pack out tomorrow. If you call the store ahead of time it will reduce the wait time for bagging them up. (716)-565-0700

And if your wondering when your order will ship, then visit this page.
https://shop.areefcreation.com/collections/shipping-box

Thanks again and hope you enjoy the corals!

Back