AGE Hybrid 300 Gallon Bowfront Rebirth

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to start this build thread before I lose track of pictures and to get feedback. Please feel free to comment and help me find a direction for this build.

This all started because I was browsing Craigslist looking for a diamond in the rough upgrade, as I do periodically. I found an ad for an AGE Hybrid 300 gallon bowfront. The ad stated it had a leaking seam. So I went to google and started looking into acrylic repair. After several days and late nights of sitting up awake thinking of the possibilities this tank held I gave in and decided to get it. The tank was a 4 hr drive from my house so I had to wait for the weekend to make the journey. When I arrived to look at the tank it was in worse shape than stated in the ad. Not only was one seam leaking but both seams were completely separated and the glass front as well as acrylic sides were pretty badly scratched. I made an offer and it was accepted. Now the build begins...
BOWFRONT.jpg
BOWFRONT2.jpg
Tank in Truck.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on building a steel stand using 2x2x11GA square tubing.
Aquarium Stand.JPG

I will probably then skin this with wood to take the place of my 120 currently set up in my living room.

OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank dimensions: 61x38x32
The tank has 5 holes for 1" bulkheads, assuming closed loop and overflow that seems to be missing. Since there is no overflow I thought I would use a synergy shadow or ghost overflow to minimize space taken up by a bulky interior overflow. Then either plug or repurpose other holes to add to the closed loop.
List of equipment that I have:
Apex Classic
Neptune DOS x 2
Neptune WAV
Ecotech Vectra M1
AI Vega Color x 2 (will probably replace with Ecotech Radions and a T5 retrofit)
Reef Octopus XP1000sss (will need to replace, too small for this tank)

I have reseal the tank and bought triangle rod to reinforce all seams. I also started the massive polishing predicament I've gotten myself into. I spent 5 hrs polishing the glass and only managed to rough out 1/3.
Tank Progress.jpg

OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woukd definitely seal the bottom seams with weldon 40.

Yes, all acrylic seams will be reinforced with the triangle rod. Triangle piece is about 1/2 wide which should provide adequate extra support all the way around. Definitely not wanting the 300 gallons spilling out into the living room floor.

OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_6344.JPG
The process has been slow. Been a busy summer and I haven't made it out to work on the tank much. im still in the process of polishing the glass and acrylic. I'm also kicking around stand ideas.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back