Aggressive clownfish…stressed out chromis

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new(er) 32gal nano and things were good with a 6-line, blue chromis and green chromis. The 6-line gets along with everyone and the green chromis was always the dominant one between the blue and green.

long story short, I recently added a bubble tip anemone and a “captive born” O. Clownfish. The clownfish hosted the anemone within the first 2 days and immediately became very aggressive towards the 2 chromis. It even goes after my hands when cleaning the reef. Perhaps this wasn’t captive born after all?

The blue chromis is gone…up and vanished like a fart in the wind. I even rearranged the rock work during last weeks cleaning and it’s nowhere to be found (maybe the anemone got it?). The green chromis, however, now stays by itself in the top corner of the tank at the intake, and is clearly stressed by the clownfish.

Any advise on getting the clown to chill out or chromis to relax a bit? I’ve been reading about the chromis being more comfortable in groups, but I’m worried adding 2 more green chromis will just end up with more dead fish.

Thoughts?

The jail trick works. I have used it with an aggressive three line damsel.
I have 2 oceallaris clowns and they are not aggressive. I am guessing your clown is particularly aggressive due to him hosting an anemone and him having a corner he think is his. My clowns do not host anything and swim all over the tank, they do not seem to have a corner that they claim as theirs, just sleep in a top corner of the tank at night. They live in harmony with my 7 chromis and the other fish in the tank.

MojitoMafia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to aquariums, but just had to get rid of my clarki clownfish. Was added the same time as two yellowtail daimsels. After adding more fish clownfish continued to get more aggressive. Rearanged all live rock to help break up territories, he got worse. Chased everyone in the tank around relentlessly. My bangaii cardinals wouldn't even come out from hiding behind the protein skimmer to eat. Everyone is doing much better since he's gone. Other fish in tank, purple firefish, lawnmower blenny and strawberry baslett.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back