AI Blade to replace XR30s on large tank?

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the middle of a Cade 1800 Peninsula build. Display volume is 228 gallons, 600mm deep. Plan is SPS dominant mixed reef.

I have 3x XR30G6 that I purchased lightly used. My plan was to supplement the XR30s with a pair of 66” AI Blade Grow lights on the announced hybrid mount.

Lately I’ve been considering the idea of possibly selling the XR30s and just going with 4 or 6 Blades instead. The percieved benefits would be:

- Much cleaner looking mount / installation (this is important to me due to the peninsula configuration and where it’s placed in the house). Maybe thats subjective, but the blade hanging mounts are really slick.

- More even lighting coverage - This one would be hard to argue.

- Passive cooling - Again, due to the location and configuration of the tank, this one is big.

potential drawbacks - Maybe less PAR, or at least less PEAK par? I’m really not sure. The cost is almost the same.

So my questions are - Have you mounted the large blades in multiple configurations on a large tank? If so, happy? Bonus points if it’s an SPS dominant tank.

And another - I see lots of XR30 G6 lights for sale lately. If you’re replacing XR30s - What are you replacing them with?

THANKS!!!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a waste of money. Just add supplemental lights if you need them.

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I follow your logic.

Resale on current generation XR30s isn’t bad, I‘m confident they’ll sell for 90% of what I paid (got them lightly used, but didn’t use them)

And in the end, 4 57” blades cost a fair margin less than 3 XR30s.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be a good idea, but for some reason I'm feeling like they will have a revision or price drop in the next year or two, with the blade being so new I'd hate to invest all in on them just to watch them change things or get cheaper.

I dont know any of that to be true but something to think about, you already have the radions but I get what your saying, if it was me I would get a blade to see it in person and imagine if that's what I want over the tank, the radions are proven and examples are everywhere.

I do like the blades and I think a tank full would be awesome so I would probably do the switch, I guess you have some things to think about:)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I follow your logic.

Resale on current generation XR30s isn’t bad, I‘m confident they’ll sell for 90% of what I paid (got them lightly used, but didn’t use them)

And in the end, 4 57” blades cost a fair margin less than 3 XR30s.

My point was that, to me, combining them with the blades will show no difference than just running all blades (albeit you get a wider spectrum with the xr30's) in terms of performance. In other words, I just don't think the perceived benefit from swapping them out would be huge in that aspect

However, if you can sell the xr30s and not lose much money, then you could put that money elsewhere. I am all about avoiding unnecessary costs so if the math helps you out there, then that sounds like a good plan. I think the blades are the next step into ideal reef tank lighting. I hope I made more sense this time. I might try to edit my response after I have actually had a decent night of sleep haha

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point was that, to me, combining them with the blades will show no difference than just running all blades (albeit you get a wider spectrum with the xr30's) in terms of performance. In other words, I just don't think the perceived benefit from swapping them out would be huge in that aspect

However, if you can sell the xr30s and not lose much money, then you could put that money elsewhere. I am all about avoiding unnecessary costs so if the math helps you out there, then that sounds like a good plan. I think the blades are the next step into ideal reef tank lighting. I hope I made more sense this time. I might try to edit my response after I have actually had a decent night of sleep haha

Ok, thanks! That does clarify.

for now, I’m pretty sold on the blades. I think they’ll provide sufficient par for sps.
Time will tell if the perceived benefits come true, but I’ll give it a shot.

Plan for now is 4 x 57” blades on my Cade 1800 S2/P
Display is approx 70”Lx30”Wx20”D

Purchased 3 “Grow” and 1 “Glow”. The asymmetry annoys my brain, but maybe the actual effect won’t be noticeable.

I’ll add blades as needed, but I bet 4 will be enough.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

for now, I’m pretty sold on the blades. I think they’ll provide sufficient par for sps.

Purchased 3 “Grow” and 1 “Glow”. The asymmetry annoys my brain, but maybe the actual effect won’t be noticeable.

I might be buying a blade for a new 14 gallon nano setup. Not sure which one though since it will be soft coral + macroalgae (no fish).

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was going to suggest 5 Blades in a 3/2 Glow/Grow setup, but the other way would work too. :D

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Post pictures :D

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’ll only need 3 for a 30” wide tank and the 66” would have been better IME

My current setup is XHO/Grow/Glow/Grow/XHO
8A63C3A2-F63F-4A17-954F-94B796EA53B1.jpeg

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the tank depth but I’d think the blades would be good fill and a couple radions for punch to depth. Not sure though as I know g5 and g6 sacrifice punch for spread.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be surprised how much PAR those blades really put out. I was going to go with 3 of the 57" version on my 150 gallon (60"x24"x24"). Pretty comparable, with just about 600mm depth on mine as well. I ended up with just a pair and easily get over 200 par on the sand bed from end to end.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 XR30s x 215Watts = 645 watts...unless you have them turned way down.

The 66" Blades are 140 watts a piece. To me, it seems like 4-5 Blades would be the right number of fixtures if you want to switch. There will have to be less PAR if you don't get 4-5 Blades to replace 3 XR30s.

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that straight math checks out. However, watts don't neccesarily directly correlate to PAR, and more importantly, the spread would be more even with fewer hot spots presumably. I'll be sure to post my findings once I mount 4 lights and rent a PAR meter.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m running 2 blade grow. Definitely not as big a tank as you. But that being said. I’m growing Sps no problem

j000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll only need 3 for a 30” wide tank and the 66” would have been better IME

My current setup is XHO/Grow/Glow/Grow/XHO
8A63C3A2-F63F-4A17-954F-94B796EA53B1.jpeg
Whats the mount you’re using for the lights?

which size & how many would you recommend for a 96x36wx30h or 120x36wx30h tank? Loving your setup

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

which size & how many would you recommend for a 96x36wx30h or 120x36wx30h tank? Loving your setup

It is 80/20 from Zyltech. Took a few tries to get it right. Had to order extras of stuff to make sure it worked out.

For a tank those sizes, you’ll need a lot. 36” wide can use 3 wide if you are going with mixed tank and keep SPS high. If you want more SPS then 5 wide. Then you’ll need 2 rows of them if that makes sense.

If you want to go with only the Grow model, then 4 wide would work. 8 total.

j000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 80/20 from Zyltech. Took a few tries to get it right. Had to order extras of stuff to make sure it worked out.

For a tank those sizes, you’ll need a lot. 36” wide can use 3 wide if you are going with mixed tank and keep SPS high. If you want more SPS then 5 wide. Then you’ll need 2 rows of them if that makes sense.

If you want to go with only the Grow model, then 4 wide would work. 8 total.
I'm a bit slow since I’m still fairly new. What do you mean when you say 3 wide, 5 wide, etc.

I’d most likely want to run a grow and glow set up like yours.

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most definitely not. Would be much more shadowing, and marginal par if you’re trying to grow Acro anywhere but the very top. My tank is fairly deep.

66” would produce a lot more light spill from the ends, which is pointless. I need a little lower par in the deeper parts of the Peninsula ends for LPS.

3 66” lights cost about as much as 4 57” lights, with a much less desirable pattern for these tank dimensions. I’ll likely add a 5th light (4 grow, 1 glow) to be able to run them a little further from max, a little more even coverage, and even less shadowing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back