• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

AI Hydra Light shade (standard, 26HD and 32HD)

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PMed you Joe! There is currently one printing and I will be printing them continuously through the weekend and next week. I have updated the thread quantity to show 4 as available for anyone wishing to order out this upcoming batch.

Simcaha1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey! Love the shade idea. Tried ordering 2 but unsure if the second order went through. Please confirm you received both orders.

Thank you

Sitting down next to your beautiful reef tank and getting blinded by your glorious Hydra 26HD LED? No more! I made a light shade that simply slides over the top of the hydra. This is designed with vented grills for unimpeded cooling and length specialized to cut off the light about halfway down the glass on a 24x24 cube tank with about 10" of light distance.

This is specially designed with a cutout on the back to allow the use of the Flex-arm mounting kit. This is also compatible with the HMS single arm mounting solution.

Asking $24.99 shipped to anywhere in the USA. Outside of the US please contact me for more information.

2 (1).jpg

1 (1).jpg

Print information:
  • Printed at 0.1mm layer height
  • Print time: 22 hours
  • Print material: Hatchbox Black PLA

If you need a different shade length to accommodate higher or lower mounting options post here and we can see if we can make you a custom model.

If you already have a 3d printer and want to print it yourself let me know and I will provide free STL files for the model. This was made back in May of 2017 so if it's familiar you might have seen my build thread!

If you want a version that is printed with a higher quality printer, let me know. Costs are closer to $60-80 $120 for a version printed with nylon and higher print resolution.

Barb St.Onge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Thanks Eric.
Barb
Hi Ludnix,

The shades arrived yesterday and were a Cinderella fit! They do exactly what we’d hoped, and are very well made. A terrific value! Here’s a couple of “‘After “ photos with one “Before” photo.

Do you have the ability to make a custom cover for a Red Sea 350 Deluxe with 2 Hydra Lights? Right now we have the kit one from Red Sea, but would like something sturdier that ideally has a hinged section so you don’t have to remove the cover to feed. Maybe just a pipe dream, but maybe a possibility. The answer’s always “no” unless you ask!

Thanks so much,
Barb

57A477A3-C9ED-4B5F-9F65-501466FFAE2D.jpeg

6DE890CB-EF27-49E0-A6EC-8B60DA303E4F.jpeg

6448AB80-2FBF-43FB-8FB8-FCC85D75AA09.jpeg

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have received both orders! Your two shades will be ready to ship this Wednesday. I will update the paypal transactions with the priority mail tracking number as well PMing it to you when they are ready. Thank you for your interest!

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ludnix,

The shades arrived yesterday and were a Cinderella fit! They do exactly what we’d hoped, and are very well made. A terrific value! Here’s a couple of “‘After “ photos with one “Before” photo.

Do you have the ability to make a custom cover for a Red Sea 350 Deluxe with 2 Hydra Lights? Right now we have the kit one from Red Sea, but would like something sturdier that ideally has a hinged section so you don’t have to remove the cover to feed. Maybe just a pipe dream, but maybe a possibility. The answer’s always “no” unless you ask!

Thanks so much,
Barb

57A477A3-C9ED-4B5F-9F65-501466FFAE2D.jpeg

6DE890CB-EF27-49E0-A6EC-8B60DA303E4F.jpeg

6448AB80-2FBF-43FB-8FB8-FCC85D75AA09.jpeg
Oh thank you for updating Barb! I am so happy to hear they are fitting well for everyone! May I have permission to use your before and after photos?

If your talking about the mesh top for the red sea its unfortunately too large for my current projects. I am however happy to refer you to the following supplier who who mills them out of lexan with a door for feeding:
https://safetoplids.com/product/safe-top-lids/

I have no personal experience with this company however I hear great things of their products. If you have a need for anything small (under a cubic foot) but custom you can contact me any time. Special docks for equipment or controllers, cable passthroughs or cord managers, anything can imagine that is small I can help with!

Barb St.Onge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thank you for updating Barb! I am so happy to hear they are fitting well for everyone! May I have permission to use your before and after photos?

If your talking about the mesh top for the red sea its unfortunately too large for my current projects. I am however happy to refer you to the following supplier who who mills them out of lexan with a door for feeding:
https://safetoplids.com/product/safe-top-lids/

I have no personal experience with this company however I hear great things of their products. If you have a need for anything small (under a cubic foot) but custom you can contact me any time. Special docks for equipment or controllers, cable passthroughs or cord managers, anything can imagine that is small I can help with!

Ludnix- absolutely feel free to share!

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brent, I responded to PM too, but for the thread's posterity I have not tested PAR on a dual light setup but if anyone has a meter I'd love to see their results. When I tested on my single light setup there was no reduction in PAR in the effective area, but a big reduction on the glass of the tank. There should be some loss of incidental light from the neighboring light on a dual setup, but it's so far out of the effective area I doubt it's very much.

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two slots left in the print queue and then I'm going to take a little a break to print out some new prototypes and do printer maintenance. I will resume sales after these last two slots about a week later, when I've had a chance to build up some inventory.

Last edited:

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are legit. I really like mine. BRS should start selling these. File for a copyright on the code.

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are legit. I really like mine. BRS should start selling these. File for a copyright on the code.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Brent! I sent some photos into BRS a couple weeks ago but I have not heard back yet. Hopefully they will see this thread!

sngallagher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the shade, Ludnix. I have my tank in my living room and felt like I was being constantly blinded. Reduced light pollution in the room SO MUCH and didn't affect the spread of my single set up at all. Could not ask for more other than wishing I'd have found this sooner!

Back