AI hydra 32hd vs. Radion xr15 g5 blue

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to decide on lights for a sps dominant mixed reef. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going for but I would like thoughts/opinions on both lights on terms of spread, power, coloration, and overall usability with MyAi and mobius. If anyone has pictures of the ab+ settings in the tank on both lights please share!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is 4 XR15 blue on a 120 ab+. Mobius is a train wreck, I suggest you look search the forums for recent post about quality issues. If you are stuck on LED check out Reefi
E1612569-9794-4FAF-A9B5-2FC8A819C6A1.jpeg

OP
OP
NeptuneRjo

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some of the problems with mobius? Just connectivity consistancy or is it just not finished?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both, fails to connect multiple lights. Also lights are cracking, turning on randomly, and making popping and creaking noises. Take a look on the lighting forum in in Ecotech forum. The customer service has been good so far in handling the replacement covers. They are replacing 4 of mine.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my gen5 pros and so happy I went with the pros over the blue. I agree the software isn’t great and I really hate the moonlights but the spread is unreal!

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my gen5 pros and so happy I went with the pros over the blue. I agree the software isn’t great and I really hate the moonlights but the spread is unreal!

Why are you happy you choose pro? I’m having that debate rn

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spread is nice on them thats for sure, i’m pulling out all for of my blues and replacing them with a different brand. I’ve had far too many problems with mine

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are you happy you choose pro? I’m having that debate rn
I think it’s the perfect spectrum, it has a good daylight and it still has a blue hue and at night still looks good under blue. Also if you look seems that all the cracked lens are on blues I’ve seen very few issues of that on pros and I got mine pre ordered the the week they released with zero issues and I got 2 xr30 pros and 3 xr15 pros, now maybe because more people are buying blues is why they have the issue. Mobius still sucks but isn’t horrible.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say talk to Orphek. My opinion only but I think they have one of the best designed and sleekest units going. No more puck designs that cause shadowing and hotspots. Seriously call or email them, James I think is the person to talk to I'm sure, and get some info from them. Or Reefi is worth checking out as well, or the Reedbreeders lights, more great panel lights here. I'm not slagging the G5 Radion, all I will say is that for that kind of money and from a company that has been doing this for as long as Ecotech has, I would be expecting a lot more than a beta prototype unit.

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say talk to Orphek. My opinion only but I think they have one of the best designed and sleekest units going. No more puck designs that cause shadowing and hotspots. Seriously call or email them, James I think is the person to talk to I'm sure, and get some info from them. Or Reefi is worth checking out as well, or the Reedbreeders lights, more great panel lights here. I'm not slagging the G5 Radion, all I will say is that for that kind of money and from a company that has been doing this for as long as Ecotech has, I would be expecting a lot more than a beta prototype unit.

Those seem like that have to be hung from the ceiling

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank will this light go on? I have the XR15 pro and really like it. Mobius app is decent. Takes some getting used to just like the Ecosmartlive interface. But so far (knock on wood), I haven't had any issues. I'm coming from a XR15 G3 and the spread on the G5 is amazing. I did not have the Diffuser on the G3 so can't compare how that would have spread the light.

OP
OP
NeptuneRjo

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank will this light go on? I have the XR15 pro and really like it. Mobius app is decent. Takes some getting used to just like the Ecosmartlive interface. But so far (knock on wood), I haven't had any issues. I'm coming from a XR15 G3 and the spread on the G5 is amazing. I did not have the Diffuser on the G3 so can't compare how that would have spread the light.
A 20"wide X "24"deep but sanded is at 20"

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Maybe take a look at their mounting options to see which you like better or which suit your needs.

OP
OP
NeptuneRjo

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also considering 2 ai prime 16hds as opposed to a 32hd for more spread but I'm not sure it's worth it for a tank that's only 20 inches wide

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back